Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Using 2 HD's to have 2 independent "computers"

I'm wondering if its possible to have 2 SATA hard drives installed in a computer each having its own copy of windows on it and using one hard drive at a time to basically have 2 separate computers. My girlfriend like downloading pogo.com games and she tends to virusify my computer in short order. I'm not free from blame either because of torrents. Here is my thought

Hard Drive #1 (computer #1) would be for the internet and general screwing around downloading stuff. If it gets some viruses and spyware I don't really care much.

Hard Drive #2 (computer #2) would be strictly for gaming, no interneting or downloading anything. Potential for viruses/spyware minimum.

I would like both hard drives to start up independently without showing the other drive when it is in use. I don't want to just partition a drive, I want to be able to pull out the infected drive (the interneting computer) if I need to. I don't want infections creeping across to the other gaming "computer".

Thanks guys

syvmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Using 2 HD's to have 2 independent "computers"

Try this out and see if it helps:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic9371.html

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Yep, it's called a dual boot system. I have Vista and Windows 7 on my laptop, it's not 2 separate hard drives though, it's 2 separate partitions on one hard drive. And yes, they will be completely independent of each other.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

i'm not sure that a dual boot system will be "completely independent" of each other as far as being safe from infections not being able to creap over from one os to the other. i was dual booting windows 7 and vista and there was something i was able to do in 7 that allowed it to see the vista partition and i could access my data (photos/videos, etc.) that were on my vista install while i was booted into windows 7.
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdintx View Post
i'm not sure that a dual boot system will be "completely independent" of each other as far as being safe from infections not being able to creap over from one os to the other. i was dual booting windows 7 and vista and there was something i was able to do in 7 that allowed it to see the vista partition and i could access my data (photos/videos, etc.) that were on my vista install while i was booted into windows 7.
True, but the OP is talking about 2 separate hard drives.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
True, but the OP is talking about 2 separate hard drives.
it doesn't matter if it's two separate hard drives or not, infections can spread to different hard drives easily if the other hard drive is accessed by the infected one...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by syvmn View Post
I'm wondering if its possible to have 2 SATA hard drives installed in a computer each having its own copy of windows on it and using one hard drive at a time to basically have 2 separate computers. My girlfriend like downloading pogo.com games and she tends to virusify my computer in short order. I'm not free from blame either because of torrents. Here is my thought

Hard Drive #1 (computer #1) would be for the internet and general screwing around downloading stuff. If it gets some viruses and spyware I don't really care much.

Hard Drive #2 (computer #2) would be strictly for gaming, no interneting or downloading anything. Potential for viruses/spyware minimum.

I would like both hard drives to start up independently without showing the other drive when it is in use. I don't want to just partition a drive, I want to be able to pull out the infected drive (the interneting computer) if I need to. I don't want infections creeping across to the other gaming "computer".

Thanks guys
Get 2 different computers?

You can have your current computer as your gaming computer... then build a cheap rig for your girlfriend.

Won't cost much money to build a rig for flash games & viruses.

Then just get good anti-virus software on the virus machine.

That's the only safe way to do it.
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Baseband Member

I understand what people are saying but I don't think I was clear.

When I boot into the internet computer I don't want to see the hard drive for the gaming computer

and

When I boot into the gaming computer I don't want to see the hard drive for the internet computer

Basically what I want is something like a physical switch that will turn on one hard drive and turn off the other, then start the computer. If I want to switch to the internet computer, I'll shut it down, flip the switch and start it back up.
syvmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by syvmn View Post
I understand what people are saying but I don't think I was clear.

When I boot into the internet computer I don't want to see the hard drive for the gaming computer

and

When I boot into the gaming computer I don't want to see the hard drive for the internet computer

Basically what I want is something like a physical switch that will turn on one hard drive and turn off the other, then start the computer. If I want to switch to the internet computer, I'll shut it down, flip the switch and start it back up.
A switch? idk

You could manually remove the harddrive?
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

I remember seeing someone on another forum that accomplished this with a switch.

http://www.cooldrives.com/4posaiisw3ba.html
http://www.thesataswitch.com/buy.htm

Couple quick finds.