Used power supply a bad idea?

Nada85

Beta member
So, I am trying to upgrade my graphics card and am looking at classifieds for used power supplies. I heard from a fellow that is a pretty bad idea. Thoughts?

Well, as long as it offers what you need as in terms of power and connectors, then it's fine. The only aspect though is that you're never sure if it'll work or not.

Ok, yea they said a used one looses power output over time and could possibly short out my processor (or mother board or something)!

It's like a car really. The previous owner could have thrashed it at its limit 24/7, or they could just use it at weekends and keep it well within its capacity.

I'd advise against it personally, because the price difference isn't *that* much and you know with a new power supply exactly what you're getting. If you must do it then go for a decent brand, not a cheap one - if a decent brand does go poof, it's much less likely to take other components with it.

So, I am trying to upgrade my graphics card and am looking at classifieds for used power supplies. I heard from a fellow that is a pretty bad idea. Thoughts?
I think your idea is correct because when you connect an old power supply then it can be loose connection or pin missing. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom