USB router

capecodbob

Solid State Member
I did search and did not see what I was looking for.
I have a phone card for traveling in our motothome. Used only to check e-mail and web surfing.
At our house we have DSL connection and phone card sits in the drawer,
I want to get a USB router that I can use the phone card with to access the web . and drop the DSL service to save money.
We have a desktop at the house and 2 laptops . The desktop is used a lot and 1 laptop only in the evening. Again only for web browseing and email.
Oh, I recently installed Skype as the wife ;s best friend moved to Granada. I don;t suppose broadband is fast enough for Skype vedeo.
My question is, I know that the phone card is slower then the DSL but for what I use the computers for will I be dissappointed if I make this change.
Your opinions please.

You will be very disappointed if you're going to go back to internet via phone line. It's painfully slow. Seriously. Skype just will not work, images will take forever, youtube videos are a no, music downloading will be a no. It's just incredibly outdated.

What do you mean by phone card? An actual prepaid phone card for making calls with?

You will be VERY disappointed with going back to dialup. Do you like to watch videos online? Do you like waiting minutes for pages to load instead of seconds?

If all you're trying to do is save money, your service provider might have a slower version of it's DSL service that is still faster than dialup, you might want to check that out. I myself would never EVER go back to dialup.

It sounds to me like he is talking about a wireless broadband card. That would also explain the 'usb router' requirement.

AFAIK, there are no routers that you can just plug a mobile broadband card into and go. It would be incredibly difficult to manufacture such a device, and it would have to be updated for every new card out there. So I doubt it exists.

What you can do is plug it into your desktop, plug a normal router into the ethernet port, then enable internet sharing.

BTW, I don't recommend using a 3G card as your main connection. The ping times are painfully slow, and it tends to get severely congested at certain times. If it's on WiMax, then I guess it'd be okay.

Yes neodude. Thats what I'm referring to. I have a I guess a 3G usb modem with verizone that is dedicated to the laptop.
I got that for use while traveling to always have a connectio . I wanted to know if the speed of that 3G usb modem is vastly defferent then DSL.
Thanks all for your input.

Well I finally found out the speeds of Broadband versus DSL and found that there isn't much for my use.Broadband up to 4mbps but more likely 1.5mbps.Dsl about the same.
Wiki has the stats.
Therefor I just got a ZOOM usb router. Only $50 and has all I'll need. Good reviews.
Thanks all for your help, Bob.

I bought the zoom usb router. I set it up in a flash.
Only problem is after I get my broadband connection I can not get a web connection with either aol or explorer.
The modem is working fine. . Laptop connects to the zoom fine. I use vz access manager to connect to vz broadband. When I try explorer it will/cannot display the web page. AOL cannot connect.

I made sure my firewall allowed all.
What should I check ?

Back
Top Bottom