USB Ports Stopped working.

Stoked

Solid State Member
I have had my computer for about 3 years with no problems. A few weeks ago all of my USB ports stopped working. I thought possibly a virus did it so I formatted the computer and started fresh but the problem is still there. Is the motherboard going bad?

Thanks,
Stoked

OK, try this. Shut the computer down and unplug it from power. With the computer unplugged, press and hold the power button for thirty (30) seconds. Then open up the case and touch the back of one of the USB ports (Smooth Metal) on the back of the computer. While touching the USB Ports, press and hold the powerbutton again for 30 seconds.

Close up the case, plug her in, and your USB ports should be working.

try resetting the bios back to its defaults.
your usb ports may also have got fried for some reason, overclock + overheat maybe?

Thanks for the ideas but neither one of them work... I looked in the device manager and it says there are USB ports installed and have the proper drivers but when I plug my External HD in nothing happens. I guess I fried the USB ports somehow? Also I don't overclock my computer just started to happen.

Thanks,
Stoked

I have also heard that if you uninstall all USB devices in device manager that can help things. I have never done it myself so I do not know how that'll work out, or what the outcome will be.

The external drive works fine. I can connect it to my laptop with no problems. But nothing works in any USB ports. I can't use my wireless mouse anymore because I can't use the USBs. I will try uninstalling all the of drives and reinstalling hopefully that works. I will let you guys know.

Stoked

I have tried all of the solutions you guys have given me and nothing seems to work. I guess I fried them somehow. I guess this means I need a new motherboard? Also do I need a new case to get the front USB ports to work or will a new motherboard fix that too?

Thanks,
Stoked

try plugging in something that has batteries into the computer.

I had the same proble on a PC as the power controller on the USB was broken, oddly enough when using a powered device it worked fine, but when using a device that needed to draw power from the USB sockets it didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom