Usb ports dont work after Rebooting Windows XP

stivii

Beta member
Hello.I Rebooted my System today and all went great,until one moment where all Usb Ports stoped working.First the Mouse,and then the Keyboard.The thing is when i first put the Mouse in, it works for 5 Sec.And after that its like i didnt put anything in Ports. I cant even reboot my System ( again ) without my Keyboard.

Thanks in advance

Hold the power button in for as long as it takes to shut the system off. Unplug everything to it, and then hold the power button in for 15 seconds. Plug JUST the power, monitor, keyboard and mouse back in and turn the system on. What happens to the system then?

@Og Can you be more specific?
1.when you say " Unplug everything to it" do you mean Power cable and Monitor too?
2.Do we have to plug everything in again after we hold it 15 seconds or while we are holding it?
Tell us Step-by-Step please.
Thank you.

Yes, everything. It's not as difficult as you're making it out to be.

- unplug everything from the tower
- hold in power button for 15 seconds
- let go of the power button
- plug in power, monitor, keyboard, mouse
- turn on the PC

When you do this, you wipe the memory of any latent charge (it happens) and you give the PC a true cold start situation.

Thank you Og,but this does not work.Plus how did you think that Computer can do anything without Power!? :confused:

I'm not talking about using the PC without power. You're simply clearing the system of any latent charges. If you follow my instructions exactly, and it still doesn't work, then the USB ports could be bad, or the driver is messed up. You can also try a system restore to see if that brings the defunct ports back from the dead.

You can also try a system restore to see if that brings the defunct ports back from the dead.

For System Restore i need a Mouse to control.But no Mouse works becouse no USB Ports work.We could buy a ps/2 Mouse or Keyboard but its hard to find so old Keyboards and Mouse :mad:

Do the ports work in safe mode?

Turn the computer off (hold the power button in until it's off or just unplug the power cord from the back).
Turn the computer back on and press F8 on the keyboard until a menu pops up.
Choose Safe Mode and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom