USB Ports Do Not Work

dewjunkie0

Solid State Member
I have a Compaq Presario SR1720NX computer, and my USB ports do not work anymore. This includes the three ports on the front of the case, and also the four ports that are directly on the motherboard.

It is not a certain device taking up too much power. I have tried to use 2 separate thumb drives, a digital camera, my USB keyboard, and my USB wireless mouse. None of which are recognized.

I have tried the following to fix my problem and nothing has helped:
1. I have gone through every basic USB windows troubleshooting step.
2. I reinstalled the drivers.
3. I uninstalled the USB root hubs, restarted the computer, and they were re-installed.
4. I disabled legacy in BIOS, and re-enabled legacy.
5. I have used the software program PC Doctor and performed every test offered through the software, all of which passed.
6. I downloaded and installed the A8AE-LE Motherboard BIOS Update
7. On the "Power Schemes" tab, I set all three options to "never" using the drop-down arrows.
8. I made sure that on the root hub "Power Management" tab that there are no options selected for each .
9. Finally, I got desperate and reformatted my hard drive hoping it was some glitch in windows. And then I did everything else again.

When I go into device manager after I did all of these steps, it still says that all USB ports are working properly.

The ports still do not recognize that I have plugged a device into them. My first thought would be that I have a hardware issue, but I still get power from all ports. I know this because I still can charge my IPOD battery with any of the 7 USB ports. Nothing else is having a problem but the USB ports.

At least as far as I know there isn't much else I can do. So my question is there anything else I can try that I have forgotten to do, or do I need to replace the mother board itself? I have exhausted my abilities so any help would be AWESOME!!

Sorry, meant to post this info with my first post.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Operating system and version: XP Home SP1

MOTHERBOARD:

Property Value
Manufacturer Compaq Presario 061
Product Name EL435AA-ABA SR1720NX NA610
Version 0nx1411RE101AMBEM00
Serial Number MXF5500JYB
Chassis Desktop
Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
UUID 64AC6500-6B6E-1055-9117-BD6E5D2B1CF6

CPU chip:

Name ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Chip Type ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (0x5954)
DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Memory 256 MBytes

Memory type:

Disk Space Disk C: 135 GB Available, 142 GB Total, 135 GB Free
Disk D: 1310 MB Available, 7022 MB Total, 1310 MB Free
Disk E: 0 MB Available, 2 MB Total, 0 MB Free

Physical Memory 959 MB Total, 687 MB Free
Memory Load 28%

Virtual Memory 2313 MB Total, 2128 MB Free

PageFile Name \??\C:\pagefile.sys
PageFile Size 1440 MB
In use 15 MB
Max used 16 MB
Registry Size 2 MB (current), 54 MB (maximum)

Video card:
AdapterCompatibility ATI Technologies Inc.
AdapterDACType Internal DAC(400MHz)
AdapterRAM 256 MBytes
Availability 3
Caption ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series

PCI:

-- [PCI] ----------------------------------------------------------------

Bus/Dev./Func. Type Class Type Manufacturer Device Name Sub System Device Vendor Sub System Device Name
00 / 00 / 00 PCI PCI to HOST Bridge ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 01 / 00 HT PCI to PCI Bridge ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00 / 18 / 00 PCI IDE (ATA) ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 19 / 00 PCI USB (OHCI) ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 OHCI USB Controller Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 19 / 01 PCI USB (OHCI) ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 OHCI USB Controller Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 19 / 02 PCI USB 2.0 (EHCI) ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 20 / 00 HT SMBus Controller ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 20 / 01 PCI Bus Master IDE controller ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 20 / 03 PCI PCI to ISA Bridge ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 20 / 04 PCI PCI to PCI Bridge (Subtractive Decode) ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge
00 / 20 / 05 PCI Audio Device ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller Hewlett-Packard Company
00 / 24 / 00 HT PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00 / 24 / 01 PCI PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron Address Map
00 / 24 / 02 PCI PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron DRAM Controller
00 / 24 / 03 PCI PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron Miscellaneous Control
01 / 05 / 00 PCI VGA Controller ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200 Hewlett-Packard Company
02 / 03 / 00 PCI Ethernet Realtek Semiconductor 8139 (A/B/C/813x) Fast Ethernet Adapter Hewlett-Packard Company RTL8139/810x Fast Ethernet NIC
02 / 05 / 00 PCI OHCI FireWire VIA Technologies Inc VT6306 VIA Fire II IEEE-1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller
02 / 09 / 00 PCI Other Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: ATT MicroElectronics)

I'd bet real money they were working before you did the bios flash. If your system has it I'd revert back to the old bios. A bios flash is not needed unless your system is acting up and the maker says to do it. Then most times you can correct the problem without doing a flash.

I actually have service pack 2 installed I was at work when I posted that, my fault.

Setishock, my USB ports didn't work before I installed that A8AE-LE Motherboard BIOS Update.

if its a short would i still be getting power? i can still charge my ipod with the usb ports it just doesnt recognize anything is there.

or your did you change your ports to hi speed or full speed? If you did change em back to the default

If you havn't, i'd make sure that atleast one of your usb devices works in a different system. Considering the amount of devices you tried, i doubt they are all bad, but just to make sure.

also. if you'r case has frontpannel USB, try chaning the motherboard header it is connected to if your motherboard has more than one USB header on it.

if you have access to one, try putting in a USB add on card (one that plugs into a PCI port). If this works, then we can ID the problem as being your motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom