USB ports all stopped working

lemmy

Beta member
Hi everyone, I ahve a big problem at the moment

you guessed it I am a newbie

brief histroy:

had an sony mp3 player attached to usb port in the front of the PC had wireless connection through netgear running, clicked on a link to go to another page and the 'cannot find page' message came up... tried a couple of time and nothing happened.

A this point I noticed that the two icons hat showed that the wireless connection was working had dissapeared and i had in fact no internet connection.

thought this was odd... tried to reboot still not working.

called net gear support... they said plug the wg111t adapter into another usb port and see what happens i did and nothing happened... no 'windows has found new hardware' or anything... tried all four ports and nothing... tried the adapter in the laptop ( which i am using now ) and it all worked.

so now

tried to uninstall all USB item from device manager and reboot, the PC found new hardware on start up for the host controllers and the USB ROOTs but still they dont actually work... I plug my printer into the usb port and something that was working yesterday now comes up with 'hardware not recognised.

the hardware service support line is closed till monday now and you are my only hope in getting this sorted before spending money caling premium rate number...

any replies warmly welcomed

thanks

matt

yes sp2

is this something that ahs happenend before ... a know n problem?... is it easy to fix? ( oh please say it is)

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY ASWELL

thanks

thats what I thought...

so I went into my computer 'right click' down to poperties
into hardware tab
device manager

expand the USB controllers 'tab'

I ahve 8 sections now
1 sayS intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host controler - 24CD
3 say intel(R) 82801DB/DBM universal Host C¬ontroller - 24C2 OR 24C4/24C7

Then Have four USB Root Hub

right click on any of these and go to properties and the status box say they are 'all working properly'

the first one for example says:

device trype blah blah blah
manufacturere intel
location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 7

I am at a loss as ot the problem

if i re-install windows will I have to back up all my files or will it be like a over-install... dont want to lose all my pictures and documents...

sorry I am not too tech minded when it comes to pc's

what cd do i need to do to do this... I have the windows xp home edition sp2 product recover DC-ROM as supplied with the pc

do I use this or what...

thanks

anyone got any ideas...

looks like I will be phoning the support centre tomorrow at 60p/minute

unless anyone on here can help....

Yeah, a reinstall will lose everything. Make backups of your files first. I'm going to buy one of those external drives strictly for backup purposes. I have way too much files (in terms of size) to backup and those DVD disc are nothing to the amount of storage I plan to backup. If you reinstall Windows and it still doesn't work, you may want to consider buying a new motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom