Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default USB port on Lenovo is shot! help :)

Hello. I have a wife that frequently and carelessly plugged-in and un-plugged a USB in my Lenovo Z570 laptop and ruined the receiver on the laptop.
Is it possible to replace that portion of the laptop (the part that includes the USB receiver). Any links to part purchase and How-to video would be awesome!
Thanks.

papernpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: USB port on Lenovo is shot! help :)

Little confused when you say USB receiver.
Because i am thinking of something like this when you say that

Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

I'm thinking they mean the socket itself.

Your best bet is to do a search using the model number of your laptop and "parts".

I am not familiar with Lenovo machines; I know that HP has a pretty good online parts catalog, and it is possible that there is one for the Lenovo brand.

Depending on how old the unit is and how compact, they may or may not have made that piece separate. If it's separate, you can usually find a replacement on eBay (use the part number you found in the catalog, if there is one, or maybe off the part itself). If it is integrated with the main board, then you'd have to either source a socket form an electronics vendor or replace the whole mainboard.

If the machine is more than three or four years old, I'd use this as an excuse to get a newer laptop.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

I have rarely seen a usb port that is not soldered directly to the laptop's motherboard. It can be repaired by someone comfortable taking apart laptops and soldering small electronics. If that person is you, refer to this youtube video for how to take it apart:

Otherwise, you can just get a USB hub.
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Beta Member

I probably shouldn't have posted at all...at least not until I had more time on my hands. Thanks to all who replied but, I screwed up. It's not the USB port (I called it a receiver without thinking); it's the HDMI port that is damaged and I can no longer attach my laptop to the smart TV via a 10' HDMI cable. I've replaced the cable. My wife beat the crap out of it.... in-out-in-out-in-out until the port isn't connecting to the cable properly. I've tried to "spread" the "teeth" inside the port but, to no avail. As far as I can tell, there are no missing "teeth"
Once again, I apologize to all for the incorrect information in my OP. And, again, thanks to those who replied.
papernpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

In the case of an HDMI port, it's almost definitely soldered directly to the motherboard. You're out of luck unless you want to repair it by soldering a new port. Big job.

The other option is to pick up something like this:Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB 3.0 to HDMI 1080p 1-Port Hub External Video Card with Multi-Monitor Graphics Adapter (USB32HDEH): Computers & Accessories

It's an external HDMI adapter that connects via USB port.
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
BSOD

Just get some de-solder braid and remove the old one and solder in the new one, it's a fifteen minute job.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
Just get some de-solder braid and remove the old one and solder in the new one, it's a fifteen minute job.
Easier said than done. I've seen some pretty ugly soldering done by "professionals"; telling a novice that this is a simple job is misleading at best.

I've much experience doing this kind of thing myself, but I have the advantages of years of practice and professional equipment. I also know that trying to use a bargain-basement soldering iron (or Bob-forbid, a Weller Soldering gun) to do something like this on a laptop mainboard is like practicing internal medicine using kitchen utensils.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
Beta Member

I guess you are asking about installing another USB port on the board. I don't think that can be done without an expert. Laptop inner components are well arranged. Once its get changed, only professionals can rearrange that system. Better you go for a USB hub.

calvinmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote