Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Chaosenemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 40
Send a message via AIM to Chaosenemy Send a message via MSN to Chaosenemy Send a message via Yahoo to Chaosenemy
Default USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Every so often my usb keyboard will randomly type a few characters that my fingers were nowhere near. I just got it about a month ago and I haven't had any problems up until just a few days ago when it started doing this. It happens probably once every few minutes.

Example:
I'm on MSN and a friend tells me something crazy, I reply with "lol damn", but somehow my computer gets "lol 12damn".

So anyone else have a problem like this before? If so did you find a solution? this is bugging me lol.

I have a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard by the way.
__________________

__________________
Let there be CHAOS!
Chaosenemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 195
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosenemy View Post
Every so often my usb keyboard will randomly type a few characters that my fingers were nowhere near. I just got it about a month ago and I haven't had any problems up until just a few days ago when it started doing this. It happens probably once every few minutes.

Example:
I'm on MSN and a friend tells me something crazy, I reply with "lol damn", but somehow my computer gets "lol 12damn".

So anyone else have a problem like this before? If so did you find a solution? this is bugging me lol.

I have a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard by the way.
From the looks of it, could be a couple different things:

1. Drivers for it are malfunctioning, uninstall it through device manager and reboot your computer
2. Defective-- RMA?
3. Virus typing stuff?
__________________

colorblindjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
GhostGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Make sure nobody spilled any drinks/liquids on it. I had that happen to me; my sister spilled water on my Logitech keyboard and it began typing random numbers by itself. Its almost exactly what you explained: I was on AIM once and I typed something like:

Chris- yaa i'll come for sure0000000000000000000000000000000


lol
__________________
Intel Q6600 @ 3204Mhz ~ Tuniq Tower 120 ~Corsair XMS2 5GB ~ WD VelociRaptor 150GB Main ~ WD 1TB Black ~ EVGA 8800GTS 640MB ~ 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
GhostGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
_-..zKiLLA..-_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,952
Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

the first thing i would do is check for a newer driver, and then do as Ghost said and make sure u didn't spill anything on it.
pick ur stuff and get the updated driver
http://saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.htm
__________________
My beast lappy: Acer netbook, 1.6ghz atom dual core, 2gb ddr3
My PSN: Kalikid_420
_-..zKiLLA..-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
geek_gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,245
Send a message via MSN to geek_gal Send a message via Yahoo to geek_gal
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Is it wireless?
(im lazy to look up)

Plus check for keyloggers/Hackers/Ect
__________________
Am2 AMD 64 X2 3600+, 1G Ram DDR,
[[*Need a new Gfx Card & 1 more Ram stick// 1GB*]]
Sony Avatar's!
geek_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
Baseband Member
 
Chaosenemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 40
Send a message via AIM to Chaosenemy Send a message via MSN to Chaosenemy Send a message via Yahoo to Chaosenemy
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGT View Post
Make sure nobody spilled any drinks/liquids on it. I had that happen to me; my sister spilled water on my Logitech keyboard and it began typing random numbers by itself. Its almost exactly what you explained: I was on AIM once and I typed something like:

Chris- yaa i'll come for sure0000000000000000000000000000000


lol
Crap. Now that I think about it, I do remember a bit of condensation from a can of soda dripping onto my keyboard one time... lol.

So I guess I'm probably screwed eh?
__________________
Let there be CHAOS!
Chaosenemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 282
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Once, I spilled Cool-Aid on my keyboard and it started doing letters in alpha-numeric and they had schwas on them and stuff and the letters were all crazy and if I pressed one letter it would type like seven odd looking demonic symbols, lol it was crazy! USB is a waste IMHO... glowing keyboards and crap is useless. A keyboard does not benefit from USB vs PS/2, plus it eats a good USB slot, just my opinion. USB Mice are different but USB keyboards are a waste.
NeciFiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 222
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

I used to have the same problem with a ps2 keyboard. it was the cable. the wires must have been touching
t4ketwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
Baseband Member
 
Chaosenemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 40
Send a message via AIM to Chaosenemy Send a message via MSN to Chaosenemy Send a message via Yahoo to Chaosenemy
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Problem solved. I forgot I temporarily plugged my keyboard into the usb port on my external hard drive. So I unplugged it and plugged it directly into my computer. No more random typing. I guess the usb port on my external drive is faulty or something. Oh well, not like I used it much anyways...

Thanks for the help though guys.
__________________
Let there be CHAOS!
Chaosenemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
GhostGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: USB keyboard has a mind of its own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosenemy View Post
Problem solved. I forgot I temporarily plugged my keyboard into the usb port on my external hard drive. So I unplugged it and plugged it directly into my computer. No more random typing. I guess the usb port on my external drive is faulty or something. Oh well, not like I used it much anyways...

Thanks for the help though guys.


Hahah thats a sweet discovery. Glad it all worked out.


Chris
__________________

__________________
Intel Q6600 @ 3204Mhz ~ Tuniq Tower 120 ~Corsair XMS2 5GB ~ WD VelociRaptor 150GB Main ~ WD 1TB Black ~ EVGA 8800GTS 640MB ~ 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
GhostGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« oem? | Help »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0