Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default USB Flash Drive

I was using my flash drive in college today to grab some information from a computer, then transfer it to my workstation as the lecturer instructed - After transferring the files, I unplugged my flash drive to go back to my workstation but she then changed her mind and told me to transfer more files.

Off I go back to the computer and pop the flash drive back into the computer, the light came on but wouldn't find it in 'my computer' - It then crashed Explorer.exe for trying to recognise the flash drive - After unplugging the device a popup message appeared saying 'Windows - Write Delay Failed', then something about 'All your data is lost'. After numerous attempts, on different computers none of which will recognise it anymore!

Is my usb flash drive fried? Will I ever be able to get the information back from it since nothing is recognising it?

LH-Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: USB Flash Drive

Unfortunately it does sound like your device is probably bad. You shouldn't just pull the drive out of a computer without properly 'removing' it. When you plug in the device a green arrow looking thing will show up in the corner (by the clock). You should click on this and then click on 'remove'. This way Windows will finish writing and make sure that the computer is done using it.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to AzNVi3t2007
Default Re: USB Flash Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Unfortunately it does sound like your device is probably bad. You shouldn't just pull the drive out of a computer without properly 'removing' it. When you plug in the device a green arrow looking thing will show up in the corner (by the clock). You should click on this and then click on 'remove'. This way Windows will finish writing and make sure that the computer is done using it.
x2. I learned that the hard way. I would just unplug the Flash Drive thinking nothing would happen...

It doesnt take more than 5-10seconds to do.
AzNVi3t2007 is offline   Reply With Quote