USB enclosure help

slush2

Solid State Member
I just bought a USB enclosure for my old computer's HD. I put everything together and plugged it into my laptop. The USB enclosure does not show up under My Computer. What do I do? I need this solved ASAP.Thanks.

USB enclosure
CoolMax HD-360B-U2
3.5 external enclosure

Old HD
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD

Toshiba Satelite A135 laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium
1.6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
1 GB ram
120 GB SATA

Make sure the power is on and good on the enclosure. Also, did you try connecting the enclosure to the other USB ports?

Have a look in disk management to see if its showing up in there, also is this a EXT HDD as if it is, you may need to format it to your system , you could be on a FAT32 and the enclosure be NTFS.

Have a look in disk management to see if its showing up in there, also is this a EXT HDD as if it is, you may need to format i to your system , you could be on a FAT32 and the enclosure be NTFS.

Yeah, make sure the external hdd is formatted. Your laptop is on NTFS as you are running Vista. So, if you format your external hdd, use NTFS as well.

Nothing shows up on the computer management window. How do I reformat the HD if windows does not recognize it?

5753c2e3fa.jpg

I'm assuming your using a normal IDE hard drive in that inclosure, no?

If it is, is it jumpered correctly? If your not sure try setting the drive as cable select and see if that helps.

I have the jumper set up to master. Is that right?

I would assume so. I've never seen an enclosure require the drive to be slave. Try it in cable select so the controller of the enclosure can choose. That's probably your best bet to get that working.

I've tried everything and have come to the conclusion that my hard drive is dead . I guess the data is gone forever...unless you guys no exactly what to do.

Thanks for your time.

do you have a different enclosure you could try, or even try plugging it into a different computer?

I won't deny that the drive could be dead, but you could still try those.

Back
Top Bottom