Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default USB Device Over Current Status Detected

Hi,

I keep getting this error whenever turning on my ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard. I do not have one jumper on, the Northbridge overvoltage default jumper, but, I have been looking for the jumper. Would this fix the problem if I found the jumper?

I have tried removing 1 of my 2 GB of RAM.

I have tried to loosen the screws a bit, though, I think my case may be touching the motherboard some. I can't be sure, how can I check?

How do I remove the battery on the motherboard to clear the CMOS? This has fixed it in some users' cases.

I am 90% certain the jumpers are put on default on all the USB related areas. My friend put them on and I analyzed it according to the manual and it looks good.

I have no USB devices connected.

This is extremely frustrating. I always have problems when trying something new, this is no exception. I hope I can work through it. I have an extended warranty on all of my parts except the video card, so, if something is screwed, I can always RMA it. I am using an NZXT Apollo Black case.

Thanks,

NeciFiX

P.S. There is no HDD installed.

NeciFiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Jk
In Runtime

Default Re: USB Device Over Current Status Detected

Never had this error before but if you want to clear cmos you have two options. You can turn off the computer, look for the round battery (like a watch battery) and next to it there should be a 3 pin jumper labeled CLR_CMOS or something like that. Take the jumper and move it so that instead of 1-2 being jumped 2-3 are being jumped (or vice versa). Leave it there for a few seconds and then put it back. Start up the computer and it will usually give you a message telling you the cmos has been cleared.

If your computer doesn't have one of these jumpers you have to take the battery out and leave it out for a few hours (probably overnight)

Does it only do it to the case usb connectors or does it do it to the ones on the motherboard too?

I miss my opty :c
Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
xxcobraxx

take the battery out for 10mins to drain it.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
In Runtime

I'll try this tomorrow with my friend. I've never booted up my computer before so if the battery isn't the problem... then, I may have to unscrew the motherboard and put it back in and see what else could be the problem. I hope nothing is defective!

Wish me luck... please...!

NeciFiX
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

You have Firewire & USB connectors on the front panel of your case and you need to make sure you connect them correctly to the motherboard. The Firewire lead must connect to the red 1394 connector on the bottom of your motherboard and the USB leads to the blue connectors. In fact, if you were to connect the firewire lead to one of the blue USB connectors then you can damage the motherboard.

This could be the reason for the USB overcurrent error.

To do a quick check disconnect all the leads from the red and the blue sockets at the bottom of the motherboard.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
You have Firewire & USB connectors on the front panel of your case and you need to make sure you connect them correctly to the motherboard. The Firewire lead must connect to the red 1394 connector on the bottom of your motherboard and the USB leads to the blue connectors. In fact, if you were to connect the firewire lead to one of the blue USB connectors then you can damage the motherboard.

This could be the reason for the USB overcurrent error.

To do a quick check disconnect all the leads from the red and the blue sockets at the bottom of the motherboard.
This has been done correctly. I know I did not damage any part of the motherboard. I believe the motherboard is touching the computer case somehow, causing this error.

Upon inspection with my friend, we think that the foam pad thing that comes with the motherboard that protects the motherboard USB/PS2/LAN ports in the back is the reason this is happening. No, not because it's on. Because it's off. We took it off, we didn't know it had to be on. We weren't sure if this was the problem, and upon looking at my current computer, it looks as if it has the foam pad on the PS2/USB connectors. Whoops!

Also, we used the wrong screws on the motherboard, so had to take them all off. 2 of them wouldn't come out, and are stuck to the mounting screws. So now we need a pliers/wrench.

We're really dumb. Thank God we haven't broke anything.

We tried the battery idea. If the foam pad thing doesn't work, then, we'll have to triple or quadruple check that the connectors are all right, then RMA it at worst. Thank God for my 1-year extended warranty, gives me a little time to figure out if this thing is operational or not.

Any tips?

NeciFiX