USB 2.0 upgrade

Robin1

Solid State Member
Is it possible to upgrade USB 1.1 to 2.0 without using a PCI Card?
If so, any suggestions.

TIA

I don't think so. The headers on the motherboard can only support what they were manufactured with. If the headers are 1.0/1.1, hooking up a 2.0 port will short them out. A PCI card is the only option. Now, there might be some cards out there with USB 2.0 headers built onto the card in which you could in turn hook some 2.0 ports to.

Is it possible to upgrade USB 1.1 to 2.0 without using a PCI Card?
As above - no. Only exception I can think of is if there's an external firewire solution that'd do the job, but if the PC hasn't got USB 2 it's unlikely it'll have firewire.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you can give us the exact application we might be able to suggest alternatives...!

Thanks for your replies. What I was wondering was whether USB 2.0 was possible by way of SoftWare, such as a 2.0 USB Hub that could be plugged into the 1.1 port and upgrade to 2.0 by way of software install.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. What I was wondering was whether USB 2.0 was possible by way of SoftWare, such as a 2.0 USB Hub that could be plugged into the 1.1 port and upgrade to 2.0 by way of software install.

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of...I mean, at the end of the day, you're plugging into a 1.1 port...it's going to be limited no matter what you plug into it. (Square peg in a round hole sort of thing, ya know?).

Really, though, PCI USB cards are dirt cheap. And the ones I buy to upgrade older systems I buy with headers (as mentioned above) so that you can pull the previous ones from the M/B and plug them in (so that if you have USB ports in the front of your case, they will now be 2.0 as well).

Thanks guy's, I'll go with a USB 2.0 PCI Card. I appreciate your replies.

BTW, how can I mark this Thread as completed?

Back
Top Bottom