Urgent Help Needed For Laptop Graphics

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
Hi there

My laptop screen started displaying a black and white only image (technically grayscale, but you know) and it had me in hysterics.

I restarted and the Vista boot and BIOS Splash screens show colour as does the vista welcome screen. The main problem seems to be once i log in. It black and whited on me (B+WSOD) so i shut the lid and let it go into standby and when i opened it again it was fine.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a driver issue - perhaps a bug. If the splash screens were showing fine then it's very unlikely to be a hardware fault. My guess is throwing it into standby somehow gave the drivers a chance to recover and reload properly!

So as always I'd recommend updating to the latest drivers - beyond that I wouldn't know though. To check if it really is the drivers you could grab a live linux disc - if that boots up fine (obviously it'll use separate drivers) then you've got the cause of your problem.

The other day i had a start recovery thing from vista. I guess it might have rolled back to something no good. I'll try the re-install

UPDATE: Right drivers are updated still no joy. The pattern now is that the windows vista icon splash screen comes up in black and white, then the log in/welcome screen is in colour. I sign in, and once i'm in it stays colour for a couple seconds then after the boot continues it goes back to B&W. This is driving me insane.

UPDATE 2: Right booting into safe mode the colour is fine. So what d'you reckon guys, might need to bring sherlock holmes in.

Not a bad call shozz. Any further ideas though before hand? Must be a software issue cos safe-mode is still doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom