URGENT HELP need help with a hard drive issue

orkdaorc

Baseband Member
My hard drive has completely gone to hell. It started when i left it on overnight and i came back to find a missing hall.dll file or something to that effect. While after reading some online a couple of suggestions came of trying to use fixboot. I believe that was probably the biggest mistake i could have made. The hard drive is now named RCE code. and i cant see any of the data on the hard drive. It just shows folders named really weird things that all connect to make one long huge message. apparently fixboot converted it back to a fat filesystem and i cant re-install windows xp over without formating now because its not a ntfs file system anymore. I NEEEED this date of this hard drive in less then 6 hours. Ive tried slaving it in my other computer (as is) and it just comes up as a 10 meg drive with those same weird folders. When i had the windows xp cd in it says its like 159 gigs with 3 megs of space left (i had WAY more space than that about 100 gigs of space left). I seriously NEED this data if any of you can tell me how to get the data off of here you are from here on out my god lol. PLEASE any help appreciated.

Well, that doesnt sound too good...

Your best bet is to slave it in your other comp again and format it on that.
Now, on WinXP, to format a drive, Click start>contol panel>adminitatve tools>computer management then click on "disk management" in the list too the left. Your dirve should appear in the bottom. Right click on it and click format....

Good Luck
Jamie

It looks like you may have got an error in one of the sectors of the drive or otherwise something like someone hacked your pc in the night, and they deleted some files to annoy windows. Try what the person above said, it might help.

Fixboot, if I can remember, is used to fix the boot sector of the HD (which messes with the partition table). If you do this, then everything is messed up. You could have fixed the hall.dll by booting into recovery console and replacing it with the one on the cd. Anyway, The fixboot is reversible; the more you mess with the boot sector the more damage... To fix it, you will need to use a partition table rebuilder. What it does is that it rebuilds the "table of contents" for your HD. Itll take time, but its something than nothing. Then you have to copy the NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR to the HD. Then boot into recovery console and use bootcfg to rebuild the boot.ini file. It should start up... If not then you have no choice but to format.

Try this one:
http://www.atl-datarecovery.com/software.htm
or
http://www.ptdd.com/ptdmoreinfo.htm

These software are trial, but im sure you can find a way to get around it
wink.gif

Note: Make sure you follow the directions or else youll make the situation worse!

Back
Top Bottom