Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-15-2005, 12:20 AM   #11
BSOD

Default Re: Urgent, Help!

Either. Or both.

catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:22 AM   #12
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to MarxSoccer Send a message via AIM to MarxSoccer Send a message via MSN to MarxSoccer Send a message via Yahoo to MarxSoccer

Nothing

MarxSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:24 AM   #13
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to MarxSoccer Send a message via AIM to MarxSoccer Send a message via MSN to MarxSoccer Send a message via Yahoo to MarxSoccer

How about "Load fail-safe defaults"?

Or anything else from that blue list, when you hit DEL on start up
Old 09-15-2005, 12:25 AM   #14
BSOD

Oh yes, try doing that and booting with the Last Known Good Configuration option. I don't think it will work, but it's worth a try. And I'm not sure what fail-safe defaults are, but you might as well try it if good configuration doesn't work.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 AM   #15
BSOD

Tried good configuration, didn't work.

GOD, don't you get so mad when stuff like this happens!? I even followed the tutorial to a T

Anyways, I'm going to go to sleep, make some lame excuse to my mom in the morning, and work on it some then or after school. I mean everything is loading, the wallpaper comes up you know, just something with explorer.exe.. If I could only get into those strings and change them

Anyone else reading this with suggestions please post
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 AM   #16
BSOD

One other thing that might work that I can think of at the moment is using a boot disc to get into a command prompt. From there you should be able to work with the startup text files. I donno if that would do you any good since I don't really know what you did in the first place, but maybe it'll help.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 AM   #17
BSOD

http://www.theeldergeek.com/change_t...art_button.htm

That is what I did. I don't exactly know what you mean by a boot disc, or how to compile one. I do not have any XP Cd's. Yes, it is a registered version. This small shop built it for us, and probably ripped us off since we didn't know anything back then =-\
Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 AM   #18
BSOD

Well I'm off to sleep, check CF in the morning
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 AM   #19
BSOD

Based on the process given, I'm guessing you mistyped the new explorer filename, and Windows doesn't have anything to load now (If the filename is wrong, it's got nothing to load for the shell.). Here's a quote from that page:

"It appeared to be working except my desktop never fully loaded. I got this message saying that Windows Explorer had encountered a problem and needed to close. Blah, blah, blah, you know the drill. So I restart. Same thing. I thought I was in big trouble until I tried ctrl-alt-del. Success! I was able to start a new task (regedit), point my Shell back to explorer.exe, and restart. Low and behold, after I entered my password, my desktop came up and everything was normal. SP2 has worked like a charm ever since."

That should work (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) to run explorer.exe (or whatever you changed the filename to) since the CTRL+ALT+DELETE dialog box can start a new task (just point it to the filename).

So long explanation short, try CTRL+ALT+DELETE to start a new task.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:41 AM   #20
BSOD

Oh yeah, I wasn't going to say since it hadn't come into the problem yet, but my ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work =-\