Upgrading USB

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I have a Dell Studio XPS 7100 computer running Windows 10.

I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade the current USB 2.0 slots to USB 3.0. Is there anything within the computer (similar to a graphics card say) that can be exchanged quite simply that will effect the required upgrade and, if it is possible, is there much to be gained by doing it?

Thank you.

You can't upgrade the existing USB slots to USB 3.0, but you can fit a card (like you can a graphics card, good example). Something like this would do it, assuming you have a port like this on the motherboard free:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Uspe...8&qid=1455105079&sr=1-5&keywords=usb+3.0+card

Because USB 3.0 also provides more power to the device, it looks like you have to plug another power connector into the card as the PCI express port won't supply enough by itself. So you'll need a spare 4 pin connector on the power supply (other cards use different power connectors if you don't have any 4 pin ports spare).

Unless you're doing a lot of copying of data between your PC and external hard drive/memory stick etc, there's not much point upgrading to have USB 3.0 ports. Your memory stick/hard drive will also need to be USB 3.0 compatible in order to run at USB 3.0 speeds anyway.

Thanks for the speedy reply joedaman633, although the bits are as 'cheap as chips' I think that I will leave things as they are. It's not really worth the hassle.
I might think about upgrading the pc later in the year for a more up-to-date jobby.

Thanks again.

Those ports on that card are headers for plugging in more USB ports. You don't have to do anthing other than plug the card into the motherboard. I have a couple of those similar cards and they're handy for older machines without USB3.0

USB 3.0 cards are going to get REALLY popular thanks to the Oculus Rift, which needs two 3.0 ports to run. Time to buy stock in the companies that sell the usb cards haha

You can get one like this for around 20.00 and it has 3.0 2.0 backwards compatibility as well as the new 3.1 c type reversible connector.

This is a lot easier to install as well because you won't need all the power connectors and usb interfaces internally.

Make sure you only use cables that have the certified 3.1 logo on them so you don't fry your devices.
Those new USB-C cords can fry your laptop - Feb. 5, 2016

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

USB 3.0 cards are going to get REALLY popular thanks to the Oculus Rift, which needs two 3.0 ports to run. Time to buy stock in the companies that sell the usb cards haha

LOL Oculus isn't going to sell enough units to ever come close to driving a connector market. Why wouldn't they use the new 3.1 connector anyways?:hide:

Last edited:
I'm exaggerating. But I bet sales of connectors will rise (not drastically but noticeably). And from my understanding, the CV-1 oculus rift uses 3.0 connectors not 3.1.

Back
Top Bottom