Upgrading processor

cornamenta

Beta member
This may be a dumb question but I want to upgrade my processor. I have AAHD2-HY (Holly2) motherboard.
According to this link: HP Support document - HP Support Center

I can upgrade up to this kind of processor: Amazon.com: AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor (AD3850WNGXBOX): Electronics

However, it clearly says a new (and better) version of the processor is out: Amazon.com: AMD A8-5600K APU 3.6Ghz Processor AD560KWOHJBOX: Computers & Accessories

But since the site says that my motherboard supports up to this: "AMD A8-3xxx (Liano) quad core"
and the new processor says "A8-5600K" or whatever, does that means I can't upgrade to the newest version of that processor?

I hope my question was understood. Thank you.

You may not be able to upgrade to that CPU, You maybe able to if you update the bios. Upgrading parts in machines bought from shops aren't always helpful with find information and you are generally limited to what you can upgrade. I recommend custom building if that's an option..

You properly could. You might need to update the bios first.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

This is the problem with branded computers.
The CPU upgrading is usually limited to what HP/DELL/Acer.... decide they want to support.
I had a similar problem 5 years ago when i wanted to upgrade my DELL with a PentiumD CPU.
It wound't boot with that CPU. it had to be ether celeron or Pentium4

I wouldn't recommend upgrading an OEM computer other than adding more RAM or maybe a new video card because of how much you are limited it is a better Idea to just do a complete custom build if it is possible

Back
Top Bottom