Upgrading my PC...

cmn

Solid State Member
:p Hello There people.

I have a big issue on my hands. I always seem to waste my money by rushing into buying things without a clear idea what it will do. But now im thinking sense and thought it much better ask you guys your thoughts and opinions as most of you know what your talking about (Better than i do anyway)

Ok, I have a HP Pavillion t340.uk and have had it for around 3 years.
Specs : (CPU) 1-Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz, 2599MHz, 512KB (0% Load) .:. (RAM) usage: 368/512MB (71.88%) .:. (GFX) RADEON 9200, (Display) 1024x768/32bit/75Hz
(OS) Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (5.1 - 2600), (installed for) 127w 6d 21h 1m, (uptime) 2h 9m 48s .:. (HDDs) 57.2GB/76.3GB(75.1%) free

As you can see ^^ this isnt the best computer around. I play Counter-Strike on this PC and up till now its been a beuty but a change is needed.

What would you guys suggest i do? I need a new case for sure as the ON button has broken and the case flap has snapped. Any tips on cases? Should i go shuttle? My idea of a nice case would be simple (Not like these new gaming ones that i feel are seriosly OTT! ) I'd like a digital display showing me the performance and temps inside my pc.

NEXT - The graphix card. Radeon 9200 was ok before but now it wont stand the new games such as Battlefield 2.

NEXT - Proccesor. i know they come in all shapes and sizes and 2.6ghz is kinda lame. Should i switch to AMD64? With a new motherboard.

I would greatly appreciate it if you lads could give me some advice and maybe tell me what uve done in the past.
Budget : £500
Thanks! CmN :p

AMD Athlon 64 3200 Processor (socket 939) £130
XFX Geforce 6600GT £100
1GB Corsair PC3200 RAM £80
Asus A8v Motherboard £60
Case £30

This will cost you £400 and it's a new system, Taht will play good games. I recommend you upgrade the graphics card though, Maybe to the XFX Geforce 6800GT, as the price might drop sometime at the end of this month.

R0056974-01.jpg

Well this is my case/ It pretty plain and you can see inside. You also have a LCD screen which tells you temps which are insode you comp

Picture029.jpg

Well...

The guys here are going to give you some good advise on what chips and all. The only thing I might add would be to think about what you want your system to do for you. If gaming is your thing then the faster 32 bit or 64bit chips I agree with but if web surfing and balancing the ol check book is your intent then you really don't need to drop a bundle on a high end chip nor a fancey vid card.
Just go with what you want the system to do for you.

Yeh well this is it. Im on my PC alot and use it for many things (more than the old checkbook ;) Now ive been advised by a coupel of mates that Radeon is the best.. but the two threads above say different. Keep posting on your ideas people!

Back
Top Bottom