Upgrading my computer for cost effectiveness, please help

Plurality

Beta member
I'm not going to sugercoat it, i am not great with building computers, I have tried a bunch of different sites, and I have no idea if the things i am considering buying will even work with my computer.

This is my current computer: Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 567D3 Desktop PC Phenom II X4 925(2.8GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 5570 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I'm looking to get as much bang for my buck as I can to add a few decent upgrades to it, my price point is around $200 max.

I was hearing great things about the video card Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, but I have no idea if my computer can even support it, or if it would even fit, (I told you I was bad at this). From what I understand one of the biggest things that needs to be upgraded for the computer I have is the relatively old Video Card and the power supply, If anyone can offer any better suggestions, or suggest what parts would be great, I would very much appreciate it.

I currently just use it for Starcraft 2, and run SC2 on 60 FPS med setting 30 FPS high settings, I am mainly interested in buffing it up for the holiday season, once again, thank you for any assistance, and sorry for being so computer illiterate. :)

First of all, the whole "I'm bad at this" is redundant. If you're posting here, you're asking for help, that's cool. No need to linger on the thought, there are definitely tons of folks who don't have as much experience as some, and that's ok.

The Ti 550 is a good card, and while your current system can run it, you're cutting it a little close with the power supply. If you can wing it, try upgrading to a 600 watt unit that will give you some breathing room. Even one of Antec's 520 watt units should be fine as well. For 600 watts I would go with either Seasonic, Thermaltake or Corsair. Don't skimp on a power supply. If you find a "600 watt" unit for under $50, it's a joke, and you'll put your hardware at serious risk.

Swapping a video card out is cake - disconnect the power leads going to it (if any) unscrew the mounting bracket (or un clip it, if it's a clip) carefully pull the tab on the board (this part varies by board maker) and then carefully lift the video card straight out of the slot.

Power supplies are even easier, just make note of what is plugged in and where, and unplug them, install the new unit, plug in the same leads, they only go in one way, and presto, all done.

I use Corsair at work and here at home, no complaints, no regrets. I also use several of Thermaltake's products here as well, so either one is a good buy in my eyes. I've seen others here recommend ThermalTake as well, so it should be ok - pick the one you're comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom