Upgrading Motherboard

I assume that as long as the mobs is the same form factor, then it should fit in. You'll probably have to swap CPUs though. Of course I'm not a hardware expert so I may be completely wrong...

I am not looking to spend a huge amount, Probably $200-$300 max, With maybe a new CPU and probably need a new PSU..

The case is so narrow that one review said it only had room for half-height cards. I'd ante up 30 or 40 bucks for a mid-tower case. That way you can use standard sized cards in it.

The case is so narrow that one review said it only had room for half-height cards. I'd ante up 30 or 40 bucks for a mid-tower case. That way you can use standard sized cards in it.

Just a few other questions:

1. Is it worth just making this a build instead of upgrading my current desktop?

2. Is there many newer mobo's that will take core 2 duo/quad core?

if you already have a mobo that supports the Core2 family, why change the motherboard?
you won't really gain much benefits from changing the motherboard only.
if you want a new motherboard you should go with a newer up to date one and get a core i3 or something.

if it supports ATX mobo's it should fit most of them.
just note that there are some ATX mobo's that is a little wider then native ATX and is still called ATX. (i am not talking about ATX-E)
a good example on one of those is the Rampage 2 Extreme and Rampage 3 extreme. (properly also the R4E)

if you already have a mobo that supports the Core2 family, why change the motherboard?
you won't really gain much benefits from changing the motherboard only.
if you want a new motherboard you should go with a newer up to date one and get a core i3 or something.

if it supports ATX mobo's it should fit most of them.
just note that there are some ATX mobo's that is a little wider then native ATX and is still called ATX. (i am not talking about ATX-E)
a good example on one of those is the Rampage 2 Extreme and Rampage 3 extreme. (properly also the R4E)

But should I build instead of upgrading?

I was thinking of a board that could take core 2 duo/quad core like this one Amazon.com: Intel D975XBX2KR Intel Core 2 Duo Ready Socket 775 ATX Motherboard: Electronics.

I have a 775 ready socket mobo. it's got two ddr2 slots. fairly decent mobo. I just recently upgraded my motherboard. So i have no use for this one. It also has a pretty good core 2 duo on it. dual core 2.0 ghz. and has a nice cooling fan on it as well. if u want, i'll sell it real heap to you. let me know.

Back
Top Bottom