Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Upgrading Mobo and CPU

Hello guys I have a question about some hardware upgrades/changes. I currently have an AMD CPU and this Motherboard I also have a GTX 660 Ti card and one of my friends said I should get an Intel CPU/Mobo. I'm a stranger to Intel products but he insisted they'll perform better with the graphic or something like that.

So if I choose to do this:
Can anyone help push me into the right direction for getting a good Mobo and CPU?
also will there be any contraindications if I go through with this?

If you guys have any questions about anything go ahead and ask, and i'll try to answer.

Again thanks!

Thomas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Upgrading Mobo and CPU

While I'm not a hardware expert and can't offer any advice, the first thing we'll (they'll) need to know is your budget.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that, my budget is $300-400 range.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here.

Thomas92: Are you happy with your system's performance? Does it do what you want it to? Or are you easily swayed by what your friends think you should do?

I only ask because I'm using a Phenom II with that video card and it does just fine with everything I throw at it. Sure, it doesn't have the same processing power as an i5 or i7, but it gets the job done, and fast enough on a 27" monitor that I have no reason to complain.

THAT being said, if you still want to do it, and I'm not holding you back - just presenting both sides of the coin, I would recommend:

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

And you'll not regret the move at all.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Me and him play a lot of games together, Planetside 2, Guild Wars, and ArmA and I always notice his performance as in the graphics (not player skills mind you lol) seem to run things effortlessly in large scale events. My hardware can run smooth when there's little to medium action, but when things are very intense, hardware seems to start slowing down. His on the other hand is still managing to run smoothly with little impact on performance. He also has the same graphic card as me, because I actually bought mine because I saw his and was impressed.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here.

Thomas92: Are you happy with your system's performance? Does it do what you want it to? Or are you easily swayed by what your friends think you should do?

I only ask because I'm using a Phenom II with that video card and it does just fine with everything I throw at it. Sure, it doesn't have the same processing power as an i5 or i7, but it gets the job done, and fast enough on a 27" monitor that I have no reason to complain.

THAT being said, if you still want to do it, and I'm not holding you back - just presenting both sides of the coin, I would recommend:

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

And you'll not regret the move at all.
I completely agree! The i5 with the K means you can over clock it decently!
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Also when I put in the new mobo and cpu, will my computer automatically accept it and update drivers and such?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
In Runtime

You will have to either repair windows or re install it completely. This is because of the hardware abscation layer, which tells widows how to interact with the hardware. Some hardware you can swap out with no real problems other parts (mobo CPU) you can't just swap.

Mossiac