Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Upgrading Memory Question

I am currently running 1gb x 2 (2gb) OCZ DDR 400 and want to upgrade to 4gb. I am running windows vista 64 bit and 2gb is not enough. My computer was originally running xp and then I added vista 64 bit in a dual boot config, and now I am using windows vista as my main OS. so my question is what is the best way to upgrade my memory. Its running in dual channel mode on my DFI LANParty UT nf4 sli-dr expert motherboard. soo if i add 2 more 1gb sticks into the other 2 slots, will the 2 sticks i have currently still be running in dual channel mode, or will everything be running in single? and should i try to get the same brand?

EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Upgrading Memory Question

If you get two more sticks, they will all run in dual channel mode. It would be best to get a set that matches your current memory's timings and speed.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

i made an error on the specs of my RAM... seems like my memory isnt running at its stated speed. my memory is ocz platinum edition ddr500 (pc4000) and its running at 200Mhz. since ddr is so old i didnt find much selection when i checked on newegg.com and ncix.com .. its also really expensive. could i just buy some ddr400 since its much cheaper and just try to find a set that matches the timings of my current ram?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Yea, that sounds like the best plan. You don't need to worry much about brand as long as all the specs match. Timings, voltage, speed. . .
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

ok soo i just bumped up the memory speed to 250Mhz and am noticing a big improvement. if i were to add 2gigs of ddr 400 now.. i would have to bump my current ram back to 200Mhz and then match the timings? the timings are 3-3-2-8 so i would have to look for RAM that has timings no lower then the one i specified? or could i get ram with lower timings and then just bump the timings up to match my ocz sticks?