upgrading to longhorn

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
hi everyone.
I am thinking of upgrading to longhorn when it comes out, and I need to know what the minimum sytem requirements are, and what you reccomend I upgrade. I do some gaming, and I listen to music. I think that all I will need to upgrade will be my proccessor and memory. here is what I have now:
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
256 Megabytes Installed Memory
120 gig hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce4
Creative SB Live! series

Yeah; but as of yet I haven't worked out whether its 64-bit based? For 2006 - when Intel 64-bits are coming out too - I imagine maybe it will be.

As for Memory, I plan to put in 2Gb just to be sure for the Longhorn Beta (saving up already for a whole new computer with Longhorn when it fully comes out)

Really depends whether its 64-bit or not - if it is then it could be more complicated for you.

I read somewhere, a minimum 512ram. And yeh the 64bit would come in handy. And the 512 was just for the OS, not apps and stuff.

Yeah - but 512 is the Minimum. Just like XP is funny on 256; Longhorn would be useless on 512. I would recommend 1Gig at least - and as I said I'm going for 2Gigs.

I do have a serious feeling it will be 64-bit. Makes sense doesn't it? Although they don't want to stop older computers using it - they'll probably do a 32-bit version too, maybe at main release or a little after.

I was thinking of getting a little over a gig of memory, two 512 memory sticks, do you think this will be enough for some gaming, music, photo editing, and stuff like that?
Also, how likely is it that I will need to upgrade my processor? Is it likely that it will use the new 64-bit proccesors or not?
that would be nice if they make two versions like you said. They made two versions of XP, so they might do the same with longhorn.
by the way, I didn't mention that I have a Dell, I am hoping this won't cause me any problems, I have heard trying to upgrade with dell computers can be trouble.

Yeah, two 512 should do it.

Erm... depends what they do with it. It is in one and a half years; so it really depends what the top is at the time as to what the baseline recommendation is for using Longhorn. It could be over 2.4, it could be over 3.2 for all I know! Depends how Processors go up over the time. Best to think of that when it gets nearer and the Beta is out - recommendations for the Beta 2 version are likely to be the recommendations for the Full Version.

ok, I will wait on the proccessor then, but I have noticed that some people are already using longhorn, the beta version I assume, but where are they getting it? can you download it somewhere?

Nah, thats the Alpha 4074 Build - a very early version for Microsoft Developers. Then the Beta will come, then the Beta 2 version which will be, if they run it like Office 2003, general release for free plus packaging and delivery.

That should be from about November 2005 hopefully.

crazyman143 said:
I didn't mention that I have a Dell, I am hoping this won't cause me any problems, I have heard trying to upgrade with dell computers can be trouble.

nah it shoulnt be a prob unless you still have your warrenty then ur not allowed to open her up but yeh apart from that it should be fine im upgrading and i have a dell

that version must have a lot of problems, because I was reading something about it somebody wrote, they said it would crash every little while, and it took about 20 minutes to boot up, and it crashed about five times before he could even get it to boot up.

Back
Top Bottom