upgrading gpu

culexor

Daemon Poster
Ok, so I was going to get the XFX 8800GTS XXX but it seems that they are gone. Also the new 9600s came out the other day. So I'm wondering what I should get. I also need a new PSU because mine is cheapo. My budget is $510.
This PSU was recommended to me:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817163108
What should I get? And I wouldn't mind getting two cards and putting them in SLI. But only if thats a better idea then a single more expensive card. After the PSU my budget is $390. See what you can do. Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072

If you count the rebate it falls below your budget. Also it is better than the GT. The 9600GT is a mid range card that is not as good as the 8800GT but it is better than comparable ATI Cards (ie. HD 3870) but only if you get the superclocked version or overclock it yourself. The 9600GT also runs cooler at stock and can get a decent overclock. But if you want to maximize your budget I would get the 8800GTX because in the end it is heaps and bounds over the 9600GT because it is a higher end card. Also SLI is over rated. It is better to get 1 good card than 2 bad ones. SLI only good if you put 2 or 3 top end cards where there is nothing better out there.

On a side note the 9800GTx2 is being release next month for about $500 and that will be the top of the line card if you wanted to wait and save an extra $120 or so more into the budget.

The 9600GT performs at around the same level as the HD 3870 even slighty worse. The 8800GTX is a very bad buy ATM as the 8800GTS G92 512MB peforms to the same level yet costs a lot less. The 8800GT is still a card that I would recommend to a lot of people. The 512MB version can be found for as little as $220.

What about an 8800GTS? (BFG 8800GTS OC 675MHz maybe?) I was just saying that the one i was planning on getting is gone. Are there any GTS's you recommend? If not then what GT do you recommend?

Pretty much any 8800GT will do, just make sure it's the 512MB version. For the 8800GTS, make sure it's the new one which uses the G92 core. Old 8800GTSs (320MB and 640MB) use the G80 core.

Man...I had an article on it. Let me see if I can find it again.

Nvidia GeForce 9-series lineup revealed

Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Friday 22 February 2008]

With the launch of the mid-range GeForce 9600 GT marking the debut of Nvidia's GeForce 9-series, graphics card makers have revealed details of the rest of the cards Nvidia is scheduled to launch in the coming months.

At the top-end of the 9-series cards will sit the dual-GPU GeForce 9800 GX2 which will launch on March 11 this year. This will be followed by the GeForce 9800 GTX and 9800 GT between the end of March and beginning of April.

For the mid-range Nvidia will offer the GeForce 9600 GS in May, according the sources.

In June, the company will launch the value-level GeForce 9500 GT based on the G96 graphics core with a reduced 128-bit memory interface. To complete the series, the GeForce 9500 GS will launch in July.

Nvidia's share of the discrete entry-level graphics card market (US$30-90) has shrunk to less than 3%. Therefore, Nvidia will not target this market with 9-series products in the near-term, and instead will promote the increasing performance of its IGP chipsets.

Nvidia declined to opportunity to respond saying it cannot comment on unannounced products.

Edit: As far as prices the 9800GX2 will be in the 500s or so they say. So you can expect the GT and the others to be far less. Maybe 300s?

The 9800GT is almost definitely just going to be a revised 8800GT, and will still use the G92 core.
which 8800gt do you prefer....which one performs the best?
I would recommend a Gainward as they use improved coolers on all of their 8800GT models. The 8800GTs reference cooler isn't a great performer.

Back
Top Bottom