Upgrading to Gaming Computer. Compatibility check :)

Ludichris1

Baseband Member
My gaming computer (compatibility check)

Hi!

I have a Compaq Presario CQ5210Y.

I'm planning on upgrading my computer(so that I will be able to play Guild Wars 2 :).), to 4GB of Crucial DDR2 800 RAM, SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 512MB, and Antec BP550 Plus 550 watt PSU.

Here is a link to my computer's motherboard. Here is a link to the computer.

I'm not sure if this is all compatible with each other. I 'think' it might be, but as you can see, I am unsure.

I'm quite positive the RAM is compatible. All I will have to do for that is take out one of my modules and put in the new 2GB module, right? The two memories will coexist, correct? Or does it have to be 'dual-channel' stuff I here about...

The graphics card I am not very sure about. First, the graphics card says PCI Express 2.0 x16, yet my PC says "PCI Express x16". Are the 2.0s and 2.1s just 'updates', to where I could put those in the same system as ones that say "PCI Express x16? Second, will it fit and connect or what not? Do I have to have a NVIDIA card instead? 'Cus I really would rather not :(

The power supply is another factor. First, does this 550 watt really give the 550 watts it says it does? Will this work for the graphics card I plan to buy? And does it connect to the graphics card and everything else in the computer? Does it work?

Is everything just compatible?

That's my question.

This hardware doesn't come cheap (at least in my standards), and I don't want to make any mistakes. I lack the absolute technical know-how and assurance as some of you might have, to be able to answer these questions.

--So, I ask you to please help me and tell me if this is all compatible :D

...Just don't tell me to buy a different graphics card just 'cus it'll play games faster or something :)

Thanks!

P.S. Do you think it's safe to buy things now instead of when GW2 comes out? I think it might be coming out in late spring at the latest. Will my buy still be safe and good to play Guild Wars 2?

All of those should give you a very nice performance boost. If you can pony up an extra 35 bucks, this card will be better for cooling since factory cases are designed for minimum cooling of components: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161334
Yeah, I figured as much on the performance xD

Nice card. I might be able to rack up 35 dollars if I can :)

...wait... so you're saying everything I said is compatible with that computer? Completely?

Yes, everything is compatible. You will be very happy with everything, especially the video card. Just try to keep your cable management as neat as possible. Pm me and let me know how it turns out and also if you have any problems with the upgrades.

Almost forgot to tell you to order a case fan. I was looking at the case on a website and it appears that there is not a case fan from the factory. If yours has one then you will be ok. I believe it should be a 92mm fan slot. If the screw holes are 3 1/4" across, it is a 92mm slot.

Yes, everything is compatible. You will be very happy with everything, especially the video card. Just try to keep your cable management as neat as possible. Pm me and let me know how it turns out and also if you have any problems with the upgrades.

Almost forgot to tell you to order a case fan. I was looking at the case on a website and it appears that there is not a case fan from the factory. If yours has one then you will be ok. I believe it should be a 92mm fan slot. If the screw holes are 3 1/4" across, it is a 92mm slot.
Thanks :). I'm sure there's a fan in there... and if not, this case has mega circulation lol. Like half of both sides of the case have holes, and then there's holes in the back too. And some little supports at the bottom of the case.

I do not plan to buy all the stuff I said until Christmas, cus that's where I'm looking to get most of the money to pay for it (I'm literally asking for just money. my birthday is next to Christmas too so I'm lucky xD).

I'll see if I can remember to tell you what happens :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom