Upgrading A Dell Precision?

Zax1108

Baseband Member
So I'm going to be getting a dell Precision M6500 and it is currently running a i7-720QM which is at 1.60ghz and bottlenecks.

I downloaded the service manual and read in the processor types it says it's capable of a i7-940XM which sounds great to me. but before dropping half k on a CPU I want to be sure it'll work in there and wondered if anyone knew anything about this?

I would also like to know if anyone know's the number of video card slots on the system board?

In ahead of time, thank you for your replies and time.

Ps. please let's not make this a debate about brands. I'm getting the Dell regardless so I'm planning to make it work the best to it's ability. so play nice and thank you :)

Generally with laptops the upgrade paths are very limited. The CPU in most laptops are soldered to the motherboard and the same with GPU its built into the motherboard making it impossible to upgrade.

Computer memory upgrades for Dell Precision M6500 (Dual Core) Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

I've never heard of a CPU being soldered into a motherboard of any kind aside from the atom chip set. I have heard of the GPU being soldered into the board. but that being a unit not a card. seeing as this computer is on the same line as the alienware computer set the card is a modular card. not a integrated chipset.

A simple google search for the system board or a replacement of the system board shows a stander socket for the CPU to set into with the standard Intel screw lock system. how ever the pictures are not of enough clarity to depict the number of video "card" slots.

In addition, I'm on the same page with you of upgrading RAM memory. once again the IT service manual suggests a maximum of 32GB's 1333 sodimm or 16gb's of 1600 sodimm ram via 4 sodimm slots.

In basic. I want an alienware without all the glamour that comes with one. I don't want the purple keyboards and what may have you. when this computer was offered to me in it's basic specs for free I thought why not make it top notch.

So I should only assume to get the best answers as to the abilities of the system board and it's slot counts I should contact Dell precision computer support themselves to get the concrete answers I am looking for. However I was hopping to cut out that step in hopes someone from dell or very well versed with dell was a member on here and could answer my questions.

If you feel that what I have said was wrong in any way about CPU's rarely being soldered into the system board please feel free to correct me. but it is my beliefs that a CPU is far too delicate to introduce to the heat soldering would intell. or with the risk of running a cold solder.

Thank you!

Any member that would see this thread and make a response would tell you that the CPU & GPU would be soldered to the motherboard, Dell would just tell you not to do it and try talking you into a buying a new laptop.

I can't say for certain about the Precision, but most laptop CPUs are soldered onto the motherboard.

I don't have much experience with Dell laptops so I may be wrong but I am only going off my own knowledge and what I know..

This is very interesting to me seeing as the 5 HP laptops I own 3 Dells. one Acer and 3 Toshiba laptops all have removable CPU's.

I'd be interested to see what laptop computer you two have used that have a CPU soldered into the board seeing as I've never seen one. I might have just lucked out. but those are only the ones I own this very second. I've worked on many other ones for friends and family and those as well have never had a CPU that was soldered into the board.

Please go to any computer brand you may fancy and go to the support tab. look at any model and look for the IT service guide. and see reference to the motherboard. you will notice in I'm confident to say 60+ % of the ones you look at will have a socket with modular CPU. just as a desktop would have.

The topic of a graphics unit though is a different story. as most all laptops use a accelerator and not a card. so there is nothing to be removed. but dell work line and their Alienware line are known almost sully for their abilities to remove and change the graphics unit.

A simple test of that is to go onto ebay and look for "alineware graphics card" you will find many a' listings of replacement cards with a mock of pins that like a desktop would have.

Again I could be wrong. but while I'm typing this I'm testing my ideas out myself. and from what I see it is not wrong.

So seeing as I have given theory as to why a CPU is not soldered into a board on common. and the backing that most laptops do not have it done. before advancing in the idea that it does happen as both of you are sure on. I would like to see backing on the topic. otherwise I am only to assume that it is not done as such.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

However I will humor you both to show there are such things as soldered in CPU's and the proper name for it is surface mounted CPU vs a socket mounted CPU.

Though I do disagree with you that the mass of laptops are socket mounted. it does happen where they are surface mounted. I can assure you that this computer in question is a socket mounted CPU laptop along with a modular graphics unit board. if you need further assurance I may supply you with a link to the service guide and you may see for yourself.

However this does not help any of us by this debate. it's best to know what we are talking about before being so sure of it. otherwise such things as this will happen.

The only laptop ive owened were the cpu was soldered in the board was an acer aspire one and that had the atom cpu

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Well then I must be crazy. Sorry guys. I've always thought they were soldered on or at least non-replaceable. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom