Upgrading 5+ year old desktop help plz

Upgrading from the default 512mb of RAM would do you more good than upgrading your CPU assuming you haven't already done so.

I'm having a hard time determining what socket type your CPU is. Most likely you would not be able to upgrade it and if you could, probably not a lot.

^^ i already upgraded the ram, and the processor socket is a LGA 775. I saw some dual cores that support that socket, but I'm not sure if I can just replace it.

That has an Intel 915G chipset. According to wikipedia, it doesn't support dual cores.

From what I can tell, the fastest CPU you can put in is the Pentium 4 HT 661. (SL96H)
That's a 3.6GHz single core with Hyper Threading.

^^ i already upgraded the ram, and the processor socket is a LGA 775. I saw some dual cores that support that socket, but I'm not sure if I can just replace it.
Ah it looks like you have quite a selection. Newegg link. What wattage is your power supply and what is the model of your motherboard so we can see what the maximum CPU is supported?

I'm not sure what the motherboard model is, but it uses the Intel 915G chipset, and the power supplies is 295W.

Back
Top Bottom