Upgrading?

jeo14888

Baseband Member
Over the past couple of months i have noticed that my computer has started to become slow and annoying, its quite a basic computer and i think i am asking to much of it. So i want to upgrade some parts that will improve the performance, please can someone tell me where i can get information for this, or even better give me some personal advice. Thanks.

can you tell us the current specs on your computer and what you would like to do with it?
btw welcome to cf

yea welcome m8. your budget would also be handy. what do you use your pc for? it just sounds like it could do with a re format to remove some crap, although if you use it a lot then you should upgrade anyway just to keep up with the times

Thanks for replying guys. Its a dell dimension 1100, 2.57 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, 80 gb internal hard drive, 30 gb external, intel extreme graphics two, AC97 sound blaster emulation, not sure on how fast the re-writeable/dvd drive works (e.g. 32 x)...If you want to know any other specs ask me or the manual is here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim1100/EN/SM/specs.htm#wp1076752

I basicly just want it to run a bit faster, in games and in having alot of programs open and in anything reasonably demanding. Ive done all that formatting malarky and it did help a bit, but im never satisfied.
Thanks again guys.

well for playing games you want a decent graphics card which you dont seem to have. im no expert but it looks like you are using onboard graphics which is proberly hogging some of your ram and is only around 64mb. id therefore suggest a new graphics card and maybe another 512 or even 1gb of ram. those 2 should improve your pc proformance.

well for games u would definitely want a new vid card. And another 512mb of ram would be great. (for games and overall performance)

well it looks like u have a pretty bad comp there, its using a celeron cpu which are known to suck and u have no agp or pci-e slot, theres not a whole lot u can do all i can recommend is that u get urself a nice pci graphics card and that should help a lot for the games but ur comp will never be all that good, u should think about saving for a new one

jeo14888 said:
Thanks for replying guys. Its a dell dimension 1100, 2.57 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, 80 gb internal hard drive, 30 gb external, intel extreme graphics two, AC97 sound blaster emulation, not sure on how fast the re-writeable/dvd drive works (e.g. 32 x)...If you want to know any other specs ask me or the manual is here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim1100/EN/SM/specs.htm#wp1076752

I basicly just want it to run a bit faster, in games and in having alot of programs open and in anything reasonably demanding. Ive done all that formatting malarky and it did help a bit, but im never satisfied.
Thanks again guys.
1. That's not all the bad for a regular basic computer. If your computer has started to become slower, try running a spyware program to see if any un-needed thing are running in the background.

2. Do you use Norton Antivirus? :p

3. Upgrading RAM is probably the most cost-effective thing to do if your on a tight budget.

Thanks guys. most of the un-needed things arent running, and i am using norton anti virus. I think i will go for a new graphics card and more ram then, can anyone suggest a suitable new card, and are they easy/hard to install?

Back
Top Bottom