Fully Optimized
ok right now i have a compaq evo w4000 with the following specs
256mb ram
p4 2.4ghz socket 478
250 watt PSU
dvd-rom 48x
mobo chipset is brookdale i845e
nvidia geforce fx5200 128mb pci gfx card

now im going to upgrade a few things, i know im getting 512 ram (thanks to g35x :) and i want to get a new gfx card, the gfx card im looking at is a nvidia geforce 5500 oc 256mb AGP from the burninator, (my mobo is said to only use agp 4x) this is pretty simple stuff right now, but later on i want to get 1gb ram, and at least a 3ghz processor to get my specs up, are there any conflicts in any of this?? for now ill have

512mb (upgraded)
p4 2.4ghz socket 478 (same)
250 watt PSU (same)
dvd-rom 48x (same)
mobo (same)
nvidia geforce 5500 oc 256 mb agp (upgraded)

are there any problems in that? what would you guys recommend? eventually i want to get

1gb ram
p4 3.0ghz socket 478
500 watt psu
maybe a better gfx card, idk what yet though

but with my current mobo is this worth it (standard evo w4000 mobo)? since its only supposed to have agp 4x (http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=51102) , so would it be better to get a pci gfx card? ( i dont have pci-e), it just has an OEM mobo chipset, i didnt know if this stuff would be running faster than the mobo and capping my performance, please let me know what you think and if i should just build a whole new one, or get new mobo w/e, just give me your suggestions and critique! this is my first major upgrade/build :)

thanks,
bullzi

EDIT: this is a URL to indepth specs about the pc, note that not all are same as mine, like the gfx, but if this helps here it is..
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Compaq_Evo_Workstation_W4000__5807187#productdetail

Hmm...if I were you, I would build a complete new one. There's pretty much no options for graphics cards anymore with AGP (esp. 4x), you won't be able to play any current games.

Anyway, if you don't want to build a new one, that's fine. Either way, what's your budget?

haha next to nothing, i dont have any money right now, ill have to save up during the summer

Were in the same boat, but with AGP 8X. Sucks when you fall way behind the times... :p
Good luck building up the money :) I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

That should do good by the looks of it for your system now. Cheap too.
Though, because its an auction, I'd be careful.

Updating to this motherboard may also mean you'll have to re-install windows due to a massive change occurring, so make sure you back up before hand.

Someone had a post though of how to make it so you don't have to re-install. Anyone know where it is?

EDIT:

Do note, the shipping and handling is just as much as the board itself.

I'm sure if you hung on, someone could find you a much better board that may suit better. I'm not too good with motherboards.

Kage said:
Someone had a post though of how to make it so you don't have to re-install. Anyone know where it is?
Here ya go man,

How to do a Windows Repair BY LambOfGod

1. Go into your computers BIOS and set your boot order to cd rom first (usually DEL key, or F1, F2,)
2. Put the XP CD in the drive and save and exit the BIOS
3. Press a key when you see the screen that says press any key to boot from CD (right after the POST)
4. let windows load its files
5. press enter,(not R you dont want the recovery console)
6. then press f8
7. then press R for repair
8. and let the repair process begin.

good luck man

Back
Top Bottom