Upgrade Suggestions

Ocelot

In Runtime
So I was thinking about upgrading my computer.
Below are my components.
What if any would you change/update out of them?

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
CPU DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2066 MHz (10 x 207)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (320 MB)

Thanks in advance :)

Pretty much the whole thing to tell you the truth. Are you looking to upgrade just one or two things, or the whole shebang?

I'd go with a socket AM2+ motherboard and CPU, some DDR2 1066 memory, a GTX 260, and Vista. But then, that's just me. :D

I'm sure others would suggest going with an Intel Core i7 setup.

How much money are you looking to spend?

The only things you could really upgrade on that would be a bit more memory and maybe a better video card. The socket 939 systems have been faded out and the CPUs are getting hard to find anywhere other than on eBay.

Was looking for one or 2 things really.
Thus wasnt really budgeting on a whole new build.
It seems to still play games and such fine.
Just seems a waste to chuck the whole thing and build a new one.
(I know, that's the name of the game in computers)

Was really hoping for something like "Wow your ram is crap, its a bottle neck", ect.

Thanks for the replies

Yea, the tech advances quite quickly. Your 8800GTS 320MB card would be considered in the mid to low range of the current crop of video cards.

The 9800GT I listed isn't the fastest available, but it will work well with your current components and still be a nice upgrade from your current card.

How much money have you got to spend? Anything less than $400 is not worth an upgrade. If you can't afford a full upgrade (new build), then keep this one and save up.

Is there a reason to upgrade right now? If the computer still runs everything you want to smoothly than just hold on to your money. AM3 is about to come out, along with a newer batch of phenoms, you should wait for those.

As for upgrading now a new Motherboard\CPU would be fine. You could also upgrade to 4GB of memory.

Back
Top Bottom