Upgrade or stay?

ahriik

Solid State Member
I am currently using a Dell Optiplex GX280 (3 GHz, Pentium 4, Win XP SP2), the really small and slim version. I have 2GB of ram (Both slots are full) and I have an ATI Radeon HD 4650 hooked up to my PCI-Express slot, but the card is so big that I have to keep my system open at all times,and it is very loud when its open.

Anyway, I have been thinking about upgrading. Totally. The GX280 has served me well, but I want a more gaming friendly system, or at least one I can add to a lot. I am looking at a 3.2 GHz Optiplex GX280. It is the larger version, so I can fit my Radeon in without having to keep my PC open. It also has more RAM slots, so I can add to my 2 GB easier. It is $250.

So should I get this PC, or should I save up more in order to get one of them newer PC's, with those beastly Processors and such. I really don't think I need one, cuz the games I play on my PC don't need too much. (Portal, Doom, Quake, possibly Star Craft 2 when it comes out).

Or should I stay...

Save up. Simple. A GT280 or whatever just isn't worth it. Save up to get a new system.

You know, since you have to keep that case open for your video card, you could just buy a new case and put your parts in there. It'd be cheap and take care of that issue, as well ass improving airflow if you buy a decent one, so your video card's fan won't have to be so loud.

Something to think about.

That's a good idea! I never thought of that. I should try that. Where can I get a larger cases, though?

Are you in the US?

I recommend newegg.
be sure to buy one with free shipping or else it'll cost an extra $20-30.

Its a good idea to make sure your motherboard is ATX or mATX first. Can you post the model number off the motherboard?

Back
Top Bottom