Upgrade questions

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Since the new RV770 is supposedly coming out in a few weeks I have been considering upgrades. After all a 7600GT can only run someone a few months at most.
My current specs are

M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition(Good with SLI)
2gb of DDR2 800 Ram Slightly OC'ed
Normal 250 Gb HDD 7200 RPM
600 Watt PSU
Geforce 7600 GT OC'ed
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ OC'ed to 3Ghz

I was wondering if a normal PCI-E 16X would bottle neck a card such as the 4870.

Would running a 4870 with the GDDR 5 Memory get bottlenecked by a PCI-E 16X slot? Also would my CPU bottle neck the video card, of do I have to watercool and overclock more?

Right now I am tired of playing games and not getting these famed FPS scorings. I get 50-60 FPS in CSS with AA 2x.(Don't ask, I am not that good)

I was also thinking of watercooling. My case I have right now is rather loud, with 3 80mm fans and a 120mm. Sounds like someone is blowing air into a hollow metal box. Not sure if its worth it. And I would hate to go Intel. =S

Also, I'm on a preatty close budget. I want decent things but only got around 200-400 dollars to spend tops. (Birthday July 4th)
Also, if you list some links from newegg, I would prefer that it wasn't exactly on the $400 mark. :rolleyes:

I'd say you don't need to upgrade the CPU or RAM (but an extra two gigs would help if you're running Vista.) The Athlon 64 is still pretty fast at 3GHz so I'll think you'll be fine with your 5600+.

I don't know for sure, but the HD 4870 is likely to cost anything from $225-275. Perhaps more if availability is poor.
I was wondering if a normal PCI-E 16X would bottle neck a card such as the 4870.
No, I don't think so, PCI-E 1.0a still is more than sufficient for today's cards.
I was also thinking of watercooling. My case I have right now is rather loud, with 3 80mm fans and a 120mm. Sounds like someone is blowing air into a hollow metal box. Not sure if its worth it. And I would hate to go Intel. =S
Water cooling, at least if you want performance is still just as loud as air cooling. Perhaps even more so as you'd need extra fans blowing across the NB/RAM and SB because they would not be recieving airflow from the CPU cooler.

Thank you very much!

I have been wondering the answers to those question for a while now. So now I can safely and without much regret get a 4870. :3

Back
Top Bottom