To upgrade or not to Upgrade... That is the question (939 socket CPU)

What you have currently is fine too but the Opteron will insure that even more. You can buy the CPU itself, just make sure the Opteron uses the same socket as your Athlon X2 CPU and that an aftermarket heatsink is available. Get some thermal compound too.

The reason why the Opteron is better because of the 1MB Cache and its guaranteed FX60's OCs. If you plan on getting higher than 2.6GHz, then the Opteron is better. Otherwise, keep what you have now with the X2 3800+.

To most peope, the X2 3800+ is better, since it offers better stock performance at a cheaper price. If you don't want to OC.

Thanks for the info,

I want to get the most use out of the 939 series before i drop the $800+ dollars on a new system that will be pretty much out of date also pretty soon..

I was planning on getting a CPU chip (still reasearching for the best one) and was going to use this heat sink to OC it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118004

how well would i be able to OC and still have it stable?

Either way the Opteron 185 is a nice upgrade. I'm getting confused with the CPU though because the Opteron 185 and the FX-60 are suppose to be the same CPU, but one has an unlocked multiplier and one restricts OC. I forgot which one is which so don't quote me on the OC just yet.

Have you considered just OC the X2 +3800 to 2.6GHz?

Either way the Opteron 185 is a nice upgrade. I'm getting confused with the CPU though because the Opteron 185 and the FX-60 are suppose to be the same CPU, but one has an unlocked multiplier and one restricts OC. I forgot which one is which so don't quote me on the OC just yet.

Have you considered just OC the X2 +3800 to 2.6GHz?

how much of a diff is .6ghz? and what would i need to overclock it stable? Just a nice heatsink?

Thanks

I'd say it's a big difference jumping 600MHz. Whew now that I actually type that out it does seem like a big jump. I have NEVER OC'ed any of my CPUs that high before. To tell you the truth, I'm not big on the idea of overclocking that much either. You will most definitely need a better heatsink if you plan to OC it that much, but I've heard that it can be done with your X2. Which brings back to the original point of your thread on getting an Opteron.

I think it's the FX-60 that allows you to OC to crazy numbers and not the Opteron because the FX are already unlocked for you.

If you like the 2.6GHz and possibly a little more, the Opteron is uber nice and stays cooler. Socket 939 has little potential now and I can't even find a Socket 939 supported FX-60. Is one even available?

Back
Top Bottom