To upgrade or not to Upgrade... That is the question (939 socket CPU)

clandestinex337

In Runtime
Ok so this is what I got..

currently

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.01 GHz
2gig DDR400 Ram
8800 GTS Superclocked
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
22" Dell LCD monitor
I also have windows vista...

OK so,

I know socket 939 are not currently being manufactured.. So should I upgrade to AMD Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6GHz?

I don't want to upgrade my rig right now fully, because I just recently got the UT nF4 expert motherboard. And if I upgrade, ill have to get a new motherboard, new CPU, and new Ram.. SO if I can possibly maybe pass this generation of computer hardware and upgrade when the new stuff comes out I would rather do that. I just don't want to be "gimping" myself since I plan on playing the top of the line games that are going to be coming out.

So will their be a noticeable difference between 2.01GHz and 2.6GHz. Is it worth the upgrade? Will this last me past this generation of hardware?

Also I know that I can overclock the 2.01GHz, but I also can overclock the 2.6GHz and have more :D

So yea... I would love some feedback :)

Thanks for readying.

Well rather than an opteron get a higher end athlon x2 cpu such as a amd athlon x2 5600+ or a 6000+ as they are very capable of playing games right now

Well rather than an opteron get a higher end athlon x2 cpu such as a amd athlon x2 5600+ or a 6000+ as they are very capable of playing games right now

Hrm, I thought the opteron 185 whats the fastest 939.

Do you have a link to the others?

Also Dual Core or Single?

Thanks again

EDIT:

I found a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Thanks for the new advice. I will get one of theses most defiantly.

Am I in for a big change in performance from a 3800+?

How will it diff in games?

EDIT EDIT: umm i just saw that this is socket AM2, Do you have a socket 939 link?

Hrm, I thought the opteron 185 whats the fastest 939.

Do you have a link to the others?

Also Dual Core or Single?

Thanks again

Opteron is probably faster but tbh at the moment an athlon x2 5600+ would be capable of playing most games on the market whenn met with decent ram and video card . Also are you in the us or uk so i can provide links

Opteron is probably faster but tbh at the moment an athlon x2 5600+ would be capable of playing most games on the market whenn met with decent ram and video card . Also are you in the us or uk so i can provide links

I am in US, also read my above Edits if you missed them please. The only 939 socket I can fidn is the Opteron that I posted. (well im only looking on newegg hehe)

Opterons can definitely OC a lot better and with higher cache count so yes, Opterons are better than Athongs.

So if i get the above, if i get a really nice heatsink would i be able to OC to keep up with everything out now and in the near future?

Also would it be possible to just buy the chip since i plan on buying a aftermarket heat sink.

What you have currently is fine too but the Opteron will insure that even more. You can buy the CPU itself, just make sure the Opteron uses the same socket as your Athlon X2 CPU and that an aftermarket heatsink is available. Get some thermal compound too.

The reason why the Opteron is better because of the 1MB Cache and its high clock rate compared to what you have now. It's actually a pretty big difference even when compared to a dual core setup with greater OC potential. To most peope, the X2 3800+ is better, since it offers better stock performance at a cheaper price. If you don't want to OC. Personally, I would keep what you have and not do the upgrade. Save that money for something fun.

Back
Top Bottom