Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Upgrade or New PC?

Hello there,

I am currently using this PC for work and occasionaly some gaming (Mainly WoW, D3 and GW2). The problem I have is that it keeps freezing on random times like it has memory issues, especially while using various browsers (even when I only have them open and NOTHING else).

Mainboard : ASRock P55M Pro
Chipset : Intel P55
Processor : Intel Core i5 750 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 12288 KB
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5670
Hard Disk : Seagate ST3250318AS ATA Device (250GB)
Hard Disk : Seagate ST3250318AS ATA Device (250GB)
CD-Rom Drive : DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
CD-Rom Drive : DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Samsung SMT23A350 - 23 inches
Monitor Type : Samsung SMT23A350 - 23 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8139/810x Fast Ethernet Adapter
FAN & Cooling: Cooler Master RS-520
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

Because of the work I do, I keep a LOT of programs open at the same time, for example FF with 50+ tabs, Safari with 30+ tabs, Thunderbird, Skype x 2, MSN x 3, ~3 doc files, ~2 excel files while I run on the background Nod32 Antivirus 5, Comodo Firewall, Perfect Disk, Actual Multiple Monitors (currently using two monitors), sidebar with some basic PC info + extras and I have modified the desktop using Stardock Fences + Stardock ObjectDock. Hopefully I didn't forget anything there.

I was thinking of either upgrading this PC or make a new one from scratch (although the thought of moving all my work + setup from this one to the new one makes me a bit nervous..).

I would like help with the whole build, money is NOT an issue at this moment BUT I have a few concerns which are:
- Should I go with SSD for Windows + a few main programs (no idea which ones though)
- I am thinking of getting a third monitor so I need a strong Graphics card or cards which can handle the monitors. My only problem is that the monitors only have HDMI connectivity.
- Should I add way more RAM to handle all the above programs?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

jmirko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
In Runtime
Send a message via AIM to GKil164
Default Re: Upgrade or New PC?

I would highly suggest you make the leap to an SSD for the OS and a few vital programs you use a lot, the extra speed is worth it. From experience, I would suggest taking a look at Samsung, Intel or OCZ for this, but I have also heard decent things about Crucial.
These would be pretty good choices:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148442<- From what I hear, the M4 series is pretty good

I may be incorrect in saying this, but I don't think you will find a graphics card with 3+hdmi ports, you may have to go with adapters (hdmi to DVI or hdmi to display port). A couple of possibilities (Just a quick search):
Newegg.com - MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I also have a question, under physical memory you have 12288KB, I will assume you mean MB? If so, IMO that is plenty of memory.
GKil164 is offline   Reply With Quote