Upgrade Needed?

PaulSkyLee

Beta member
Hi,

My computer should be good enough to run PC games; however it experiences sudden spike in lag frequently. Graphic driver and Ram should be enough to support my games as it is smooth but randomly and frequently, it'll experience a lag spike. Also, even when I'm not playing games, if I run several multimedia at once (video player + YouTube), the same will happen. Could you tell me what may be wrong with my computer and if I need an upgrade?

My computer:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz
RAM: 8GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Mode: MS-7592
Number of Screens: 2 - 3

How's the ventilation in your case? Is it clean?
Dust build up will impede heat exchange from devices like the CPU heat sink. Traps the heat in and makes them run hot. Intel CPU chips have a self defense mechanism built in. If the chip gets too hot it will throttle back 50%. In this 50% state, programs will run slower or experience lag.
If it's clean then low airflow will trap heat inside the case as it can't move the warm air out fast enough.

If you just have an open vent in the front and one fan in the back you may want to consider going 1 of 2 routes. Get a better case with multiple exhaust fans or a bigger one than you have now. Old stuff comes with 80mm fans when you really need a 120mm.
Or 2, get a higher CFM fan for the case you have now.

If it's time to play Suzy Homemaker inside the case a can of cleaning air, some Q-tips and a horse hair brush works wonders. DO NOT USE A NYLON BRUSH. It's a static source and can blow things up.

Make sure also you have the current drivers for your graphics card.

What games are you playing? I ask so as to ascertain whether they are CPU or GPU intensive. The Q6700 is getting pretty long in the tooth. The GTX 650 is a decent card but will have some issues with some titles.

I see you are running multiple screens. If you are gaming across multiple screens then your rig will definitely bog down.

How's the ventilation in your case? Is it clean?
Dust build up will impede heat exchange from devices like the CPU heat sink. Traps the heat in and makes them run hot. Intel CPU chips have a self defense mechanism built in. If the chip gets too hot it will throttle back 50%. In this 50% state, programs will run slower or experience lag.
If it's clean then low airflow will trap heat inside the case as it can't move the warm air out fast enough.

If you just have an open vent in the front and one fan in the back you may want to consider going 1 of 2 routes. Get a better case with multiple exhaust fans or a bigger one than you have now. Old stuff comes with 80mm fans when you really need a 120mm.
Or 2, get a higher CFM fan for the case you have now.

If it's time to play Suzy Homemaker inside the case a can of cleaning air, some Q-tips and a horse hair brush works wonders. DO NOT USE A NYLON BRUSH. It's a static source and can blow things up.

Make sure also you have the current drivers for your graphics card.

Agreed, if the graphics card/cpu combination runs the game fine for a while then you get lag spikes it would suggest that something is overheating (normally the CPU).

Back
Top Bottom