Upgrade my laptop or find another?

Juan handed

In Runtime
Hello all.I have a Dell inspiron,8600,about 6 years old,it works OK but is running slow compared to everything else.Needs more memory for the media related tasks (no gaming) I guess.Task manager tells me the CPU is up near 99% a lot of the time. The battery is also shot and needs replacing.

The specs are: Intel(R) pentium(R) M processor 1.6
599 MHz 512 RAM
But at what point is it not cost effective to dump any money into this unit?

I'm up for anything...new,used,Ebay whatever.

p.s. : the McAfee protection really eats up a lot of space and really seems to bog it down.

Use a free alternative on anti virus like AVG or Avast, it may let up some of your ram usage. Also turn the power saving options to presentation or home/office desk. Save your money on buying a new one you should be fine doing those 2 things.

*That is the reason your computer is running at 599mhz...

Use a free alternative on anti virus like AVG or Avast, it may let up some of your ram usage. Also turn the power saving options to presentation or home/office desk. Save your money on buying a new one you should be fine doing those 2 things.

*That is the reason your computer is running at 599mhz...

Do you really think the McAfee is really bogging things that much? It amazes me to see how it takes up like the top 8 processes in the Task manager as far as memory usage goes.

How much work is it going to be to use the free programs on a regular basis to get the same protection?

It seems to me I could use some more RAM anyhow.To replace the battery is going to be about $150 (expensive one).So I'm over $250 and have an old processor.

I'm thinking I could spend $600 and get a decent used or refurb and be ahead of the game. I need another laptop any how,for someone else,(long story) so I'm in the market.

The more I type the more questions I have...Maybe I'll put the questions into a couple of threads.

Do you really think the McAfee is really bogging things that much? It amazes me to see how it takes up like the top 8 processes in the Task manager as far as memory usage goes.

How much work is it going to be to use the free programs on a regular basis to get the same protection?

It seems to me I could use some more RAM anyhow.To replace the battery is going to be about $150 (expensive one).So I'm over $250 and have an old processor.

I'm thinking I could spend $600 and get a decent used or refurb and be ahead of the game. I need another laptop any how,for someone else,(long story) so I'm in the market.

The more I type the more questions I have...Maybe I'll put the questions into a couple of threads.

What do you use your laptop for primarily? If its just for internet/word processing and the like, no video/photo editing or gaming, I'd say scrap it and buy a new(er) laptop with low specs for cheap. I hear the new Netbooks or w/e are good for just that kind of stuff, and they're what? $300?

Best Buy has a Toshiba laptop that is for basic use for 299$ get that. You do not want to spend money on old technology. If you are going to do all that then purchase a new one.

I was just recommending that you use something less CPU and Ram intensive Virus Protection wise. AVG and Avast anti virus have been rated higher on some benchmarks on catching and warning about viruses. Mcafee and Norton are two of the big ones but just because you have to pay for it doesn't mean it's better...

Excellent laptop for basic use. Get it and junk your old
one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9368169&type=product&id=1218092959299

Best Buy has a Toshiba laptop that is for basic use for 299$ get that. You do not want to spend money on old technology. If you are going to do all that then purchase a new one.

I was just recommending that you use something less CPU and Ram intensive Virus Protection wise. AVG and Avast anti virus have been rated higher on some benchmarks on catching and warning about viruses. Mcafee and Norton are two of the big ones but just because you have to pay for it doesn't mean it's better...

Excellent laptop for basic use. Get it and junk your old
one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9368169&type=product&id=1218092959299

Okay. Here's my 2 cents:

Avast > AVG. Many customers that have me do virus work tell me they notice a difference over AVG when I switch them to Avast. However, either will make a very noticable difference over *ick* McAfee.

Secondly in response to the above post I quoted, I had a customer that just bought that laptop and brought it in for me to setup. It's very laggy. It's got vista and only 2GB of ram...that's a no-no in my book. The hdd is quite slow, and it's just windows basic. I don't like it, and I wouldn't pay $300 bucks for...probably not even $200. And I would never get a netbook. If you need a laptop and plan to use it for your main computer, save up some money and get something decent with a C2D and 4GB of RAM. Look to spend at least $500. That's my suggestion.

I was just simply recommending him an anti virus program that is a good alternative to Mcafee. I agree Avast is much better, but let him decide that. I have also worked on that laptop and it is more than adequate to do basic tasks and it did not seem laggy, once again it is all up to him, budget or save up for something better.

p.s. 2gb of ram is more than enough to run Vista.

I run Vista on my desktop with 1 Gb of RAM. No problems at all! I don't want to turn this into a Vista debate, but 2 Gb is plenty. I hate that Vista has such a bad rep. ***+1 to Vista***

Netbooks are very nice to just have around the house but not as a main. Though I was successful in using an Acer Aspire One as my main for about 3 months. If you just want something to check email and type papers and browse the web, then get a netbook. If you want to do any photo/video editing, gaming (even in the smallest amount), or anything like that stay away from netbooks.

Hello all.I have a Dell inspiron,8600,about 6 years old,it works OK but is running slow compared to everything else.Needs more memory for the media related tasks (no gaming) I guess.Task manager tells me the CPU is up near 99% a lot of the time. The battery is also shot and needs replacing.

This would mean that he's probably doing media tasks and multi-tasking, which is going to use up a good chunk of RAM.

I was just simply recommending him an anti virus program that is a good alternative to Mcafee. I agree Avast is much better, but let him decide that. I have also worked on that laptop and it is more than adequate to do basic tasks and it did not seem laggy, once again it is all up to him, budget or save up for something better.

p.s. 2gb of ram is more than enough to run Vista.

Yup. Basic tasks are pretty much office apps and browsing the internet and listening to music. He'd be able to do that with his current laptop, so obviously he's trying to do that and more and it's why he's having problems; skimping on RAM and CPU in the next laptop he buys will end up resulting in the same problem down the road--not immediately, but down the road as the computer ages...6 months to a year when many programs are installed and packed in...or even right off the bat if he's a heavy multi-tasker.

Vista uses around 1GB out of the box, as far as I've found. Once you start installing programs and multi-tasking, that number steadily increases. On most customer computers that I set up, Vista ends up using right around 1.75-2GB, depending on what's installed and what they run at a given time. Plan on using photoshop (which would be a media task; he never specified what he meant by that), and you might as well just say it uses around 3-3.5GB when that's running, depending on how much you tell PS it can use. So, there's my reasoning behind:
If you need a laptop and plan to use it for your main computer, save up some money and get something decent with a C2D and 4GB of RAM.

I run Vista on my desktop with 1 Gb of RAM. No problems at all! I don't want to turn this into a Vista debate, but 2 Gb is plenty. I hate that Vista has such a bad rep. ***+1 to Vista***

I'd hate to use your computer for anything more than an internet surfing machine.

Have you compared, side-by-side, the difference between Vista running 1GB of RAM and Vista running 4 or 6GB? If not, you need to...the difference is very clear.

Keep in mind what I explained above. If Vista is idling using 1+GB of RAM and you only HAVE 1GB of RAM, it's going to be accessing the hard drive/virtual memory to keep up with your demands. This slows everything wayyyy down..even more so if you have a 5400RPM drive versus a 7200RPM drive.

This why I recommend 4GB of RAM. It's cheap anyways! You can upgrade it yourself. It's usually one or two screws, pop the pins out, pull the modules out, put the new ones in, put the cover and screws back in and boom. Good to go. This way, you can just shut off your virtual memory and use all of the physical memory. Much much speedier. If you want to optimize Vista, that is what I recommend. If you plan on getting something with 2GB of RAM, then please wait till W7 comes out so you don't have to upgrade your RAM right off the bat.

Netbooks are very nice to just have around the house but not as a main. Though I was successful in using an Acer Aspire One as my main for about 3 months. If you just want something to check email and type papers and browse the web, then get a netbook.

Please tell me you're joking. Seriously.

Bottom line: You get what you pay for. If you buy a $300 computer, you are getting a $300 computer. Period.

Back
Top Bottom