Upgrade laptop or buy a new one?

well thats what he wants to know, is whether to upgrade or get a whole new machine

in that case I'd say upgrade. It would be cheaper than going out and buying a whole machine. Like I said, upgrade to 1GB or more and you should be alright.

troy272 said:
in that case I'd say upgrade. It would be cheaper than going out and buying a whole machine. Like I said, upgrade to 1GB or more and you should be alright.

agreed

Thanks LambofGod, I've picked out these two, the Evercool Notebook Cooling Pad and the Acrylic USB Notebook Cooler as they seem to provide the most cooling. The evercool seems to suck out the hot air rather than blow in cold air, do you think this would be more efficient?

I'm getting my 1gb RAM stick tomoz and i'll get some prices on harddrives for my machine.

Also one last question about my processor settings, is it better to enable Hyper Threading or not? My computer came with it enabled and I've never seen if performance would be increased or not with it disabled. Truthfully I'm not exactly sure how it improves performance, I think that it makes windows treat my processor as two.

dazza555 said:
Thanks LambofGod, I've picked out these two, the Evercool Notebook Cooling Pad and the Acrylic USB Notebook Cooler as they seem to provide the most cooling. The evercool seems to suck out the hot air rather than blow in cold air, do you think this would be more efficient?

I'm getting my 1gb RAM stick tomoz and i'll get some prices on harddrives for my machine.

Also one last question about my processor settings, is it better to enable Hyper Threading or not? My computer came with it enabled and I've never seen if performance would be increased or not with it disabled. Truthfully I'm not exactly sure how it improves performance, I think that it makes windows treat my processor as two.

All you need to nkow on Hyper threading :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_threading

and as far as cooling i would get the one that blows Cold air in.

Unless you can find one that sucks hot air out while blowing cold air in that would be the best, but personally i would check into customer reviews before you make your decision.

blowing cold air in, and sucking hot air out is basically the same. It's like comparing an intake or exhaust fan. However, i'd much rather have an exhaust fan instead of an intake fan, so I'd say get the one that sucks the hot air out.

And, upgrading RAM is the quicker way to go. I like your laptop :D hehe, i just bought myself a new one kekekeeke.

Okay, peace.

Ok, I have my new RAM and it is in my computer and works perfectly. Now I need to update my hard drive.

This is where I've hit a problem. The local computer shop can't guarantee that one of there hard drives will take in my notebook. They want a deposit of about $50 and if it doesn't work than they keep the fifty.

They also suggested I ring toshiba and ask them which hard drives will work in my computer. I did and I asked the toshiba rep "Which 80+ gb hard drives will work in my satellite a70 notebook". He replied what's in it at the moment, I provided him with my hard drive model number and told him it was 40gb. After waiting about half an hour on hold for him to find the information he came back and relied "We can't guarantee anything over 80gb". Hardly answered my question and when I asked if he could recommend any he replied a toshiba one should work.

So I ask can anyone please provide me with the specifications of a hard drive that will work in my machine. I was hoping for something around 80-100gb. My currant hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS 40gb one.
Once again thankyou for all your help and
support up to this point.

Back
Top Bottom