Upgrade?? I enjoy my computer but...

rdcmmnst

Daemon Poster
I have a celeron D 2.8ghz, 256 ram, 128 video card and was wondering what would be the fist to upgrade. Should i just try to overclock my processor. I love my computer and am on a tight budget i am scared to overclock for fear i might damage my computer. I increased my virtual ram and i was wondering if that changes anything...

I am welcoming any tips.

Increasing virtual ram is useless. using hard disk space as ram is just daft, it is so so slow in comparison. a stick 512 stick of ram is £30 now. (pc3200) or you could pick up another 256 for £20!

AS for upgrading really.. it depends what you want to do with it. there no point upgrading to the best vid card out there if you aint going to be playin a lot of amazing games!

If you upgrade the RAM, you will have to be sure what speed of RAM your motherboard is capable of running. For example jay8990, PC3200 (DDR400) might not work on rdcmmnst's motherboard, so try and get another 256mb stick (to make 512mb) of the same brand and speed as the one you have.
This would speed up the loading of programs and will allow you to multitask more, effectively speeding up your PC for the longterm.

The next upgrade which would speed up games (I expect this is the problem you are having with speed) is to upgrade the graphics card which is always an effective option, and usually one of the better ones if you play alot.

A good Geforce 6600GT costing about £160, if you have an AGP slot on your motherboard will speed games out now at high resolutions and settings.

So these are two options. Those are the only things you could update reletivley cheaply.
That CPU speed is fine for the latest stuff (2.8ghz) and so not a problem. This means your motherboard must be okay, so I'm sure you do have a AGP port to buy that video card.

As for the RAM, download Everest:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

When it searches the RAM, take note of the speed, and the brand of RAM you have in your system so you can buy an identical stick of 256mb RAM. (512mb will be good enough)

I hope this helps :)

Yeah a cheap stick of 512 RAM would boost your PC's perfomance big time

Thanks alot

I think i am going to go with just 256 ram right now. I would love to go with a new video card but... i dont think i'm ready to lay down that kind of cash. I also have one question how do i find if my computer is a 32 or 64 bit? And Agp slot? one last questio i know that the connections of a computer there is a big change going on from serial ata i think to something else i'm not for sure i would like to more about that...

rdcmmnst said:
I have a celeron D 2.8ghz, 256 ram, 128 video card and was wondering what would be the fist to upgrade. Should i just try to overclock my processor. I love my computer and am on a tight budget i am scared to overclock for fear i might damage my computer. I increased my virtual ram and i was wondering if that changes anything...

I am welcoming any tips.
I say AT LEAST 256 more ram, please give me the exact specs of your video card, install SpeedFan to check your temps and voltages (I will help you with overclocking if need be), and if possible GET A BETTER PROCESSOR. Celerons are not fit for anything except paperwork.

Marshillboy i have a x600 pro ati radeon 128 megabytes... i will try to get that ram tomorow. I am downloading speedfan now. I would love for any help i can get. I didn't build my computer my friend did now i regret it but i'll make do with what i have.

hmm...x600 pro is a fair video card, not too much of a problem there...and speedfan is a very decent program, gives you accurate readings.

i have a slow internet speeds so i'll finish downloading later. If i buy that ram i'm gonna have to brush up on my russian computer lingo

Back
Top Bottom