Upgrade Advice

Si777

Beta member
Hey guys I'm new here :)

So yeah I'm looking to upgrade my computer, I thought about selling my Imac which is the mid 2010 27inch i3 4gb ram 1TB hdd version. I don't use the mac side of it as I installed windows 7 on it. I also have a 27inch Apple cinema display along side it.

I play online poker and that is my main use for it, recently it has been pretty slow as in lag sometimes when I'm playing poker the screen will freeze for a couple of seconds.

Now I was thinking of just selling everything and buying a computer that has like 16gb ram, SSD, Quad core processor, (Not sure which Graphics card I would need see below)

I have been put off from this just because I don't really want to spend a ton of extra money on, I am pretty used to the Max resolution of it which on my Imac is 2560*1440 I've tried using 1080p on a 27" and it just seems a bit silly tbh. If I choose to sell and get a new computer I would probably need 2 27"inch 2560*1440 screens which kinda cost a lot of money.

So I'm not sure what I am really asking here, but is there a way to boost my Imac up a bit. I know I can install up to 16gb of RAM into it, but once I heard your computer is only as good as your lowest component and would this term apply here?

I don't think I can put a SDD in it... can you get a external SDD that connects via USB?

I don't know if this has to do with anything but see the picture below,

HHD_zps21e3e498.png

Again if you guys can give me any advice then let me know

Thanks in advance.

Is far as i know bootcamp is just a light weight virtual machine application. still a virtual machine non the less. That results in lower performance. Why do you use Windows on the mac if you don't use any windows exclusive programs? Use Mac osX.

You can get USB SSD's.. but that should only be used as a portable storage device. Not as a storage upgrade for you desktop computer.

Nothing really other than general Internet usage. but the poker side of things can be very demanding as I run a big database when playing.

i seriously doubt poker can be in any way demanding on somewhat modern hardware. Even with a database running

Back
Top Bottom