Upgrade

dop3y

Beta member
I think its time to upgrade my computer... haha, I built it back a quite a few years ago when the stuff was new. Im gonna get a new graphics card, and I need to upgrade my CPU. I have a 3200+ right, AMD 64 Socket 939 3200+ 2.0 ghz. ( haha i know) I dont really wanna buy a whole new computer, what would be the fastest easiest CPU upgrade. I can put together a computer, but I dont really know about the deeper stuff. Could I go dual core? Money really isnt a issue, I just wanna get the best bang for my buck tho. Any suggestions, recommendations? Anything is appreciated.

thanks

Yes, there are SKT939 dual-cores. I have one laying around =p. Not sure on the working conditions though. Motherboard fried, but it was working before that. Anyways, I'm not sure...but from what I've seen the 4200+ X2 2.2GHz is the fastest SKT939 dual-cores I've seen. It's the one I have. There could me more out there though.

For your upgrades: Depending on what you have it might be cheaper to go with an AM2 motherboard and processor. The 939 dual-cores are priced pretty high on eBay. Most that I've seen sold have gone for $70+.

If you game/media edit: Build a new computer *cough* dibs on motherboard *cough*.

If you just play some light games and browse the web: Upgrade CPU and GPU.

ya, i dont wanna buy a new mobo right now..... i think ill just go with 4200+ and a new gpu.. nvida 8 series or something

in a long run, its better to upgrade to AM2 socket because AMD is going to release an AM3 socket, it backwards compatible with the AM2 socket, but the AM2 processor wont work on the AM3 Socket because of the memory controller. AM2 socket will only support DDR2, while AM3 will support DDR2 and DDR3.
But if you want to stay with 939, its your choice.
though, i am not sure if theres any performance difference.

Back
Top Bottom