updating operating system

stan ding

Beta member
hi all,
i am using a notebook presently using windows 98 as the os.

my question is, can i update the operating system without losing all the software/files etc or would i have to copy to disc what i dont want to lose? the reason i ask is because most of the electronic goods available today (mp3 players, digital cameras etc) require a minimum of windows 98se as the os.

if it is possible, is there a system which is prefered to others? (i am quite happy with windows 98, it just seems manfacturers arent!)

please also bear in mind when explaining any answers that words of one sylable would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance

stan

There are upgrades for most OS's, but they are EVIL! Hehe, very few times have I ever had them go flawlessly... Your best bet would be to reload the computer. I find you get a much cleaner install, takes much less space(which seems like it might cause a problem with that machine ;P) etc...

Now, I guess you COULD upgrade it and just see what happens... Perhaps it'll work alright for you,but I think you'd get the best performace and all from a freash install...

And I'm not sure what you mean by "prefered" but as long as your system meets the specs, it should load on there no prob.

I agree 98 is good...espcially if your system isn't very high end... However, 98 has some little problems still that have plauged me over time.

I've peronsally had better luck with 2000 than either XP or 98SE....

xx cobra xx said:
stay with 98, 98 is 1 of the best operating systems its so stable.

well Win2000 is the must stable, its more stable the WinXP and has better support for programs and games etc, trust me if you can upgrade from 98 to 2000 go for it. All your files will will be kept and programs will all be there.

Win98 can not support nearly as much RAM as Win2000 and XP, it can not support SATA and most new programs so go for Win2000.

You may need to install your graphic card drivers so if you do that don't forget to reinstall your games to make sure your games run smoothly.

When i upgraded from Win98 to Win2000 i had problems with programs not running correctly or not even opening, i think it was something to do with FAT32 and when i upgraded to NTFS so i had to have a fresh install anyway.

If you can do a fresh install, format your HDD and go for it.

Good luck :p

thanks all for your help.

i think i'll save a copy of things i'd hate to loose, and risk the rest with a copy of 2000, to see what happens. what would like be like if we took no risks!!

i'll let you all know how it goes.

thanks again

stan

Back
Top Bottom