Updating my computer!

PassionBlue

Solid State Member
Alright, I assembled the computer I'm currently using from components that I bought approximately 5 years ago, and I'm now looking to upgrade it.

Current specs:
Motherboard: Asus A8V E-Deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Hard Drives: 120GB IDE 7200RPM and 36GB WD Raptor 10kRPM
RAM: 1 GB (from 2x 512's), DDR
Graphics Card: Geforce FX 5200
Sound card is built into the Motherboard
Optical Drive: DVD +/- RW/ROM + CD +/- RW/ROM whatever, does everything
Power Supply: NSpire 350Watt PSU (NSP-350P4DL)

It's pathetic, I know.

Also I currently use Ubuntu 8.04, and don't currently plan to use Windows at all in the near future (at least not on this computer).

So after a couple hours on Newegg I came up with a basic list of things I wanted to replace.

neweggcartfinalil3.png

So basically what I'm wondering is (a) whether all these components are compatible with each other, and that the processor, video card, and RAM will fit in the case and motherboard, etc.

and B.) does anyone have any suggestions of components that would be better choices than the ones above? Price is definitely a concern, but I don't want to buy low-quality components because of this. Please, no Intel though! :)

Thanks!!

looks fine. you might want to look into getting a new os im not sure what you need all that power for with ubuntu.

Actually I'll probably dual-boot Ubuntu Hardy Heron and either Windows XP Pro SP3 or possibly Vista. I'm going to college next year and I'm studying engineering so I expect to use programs that will necessitate me running Windows.

Diablo III was just announced and I've been playing SC since '98 and SC II's coming out, so if I decide to get either or both of those, I'll definitely run them through Windows.

Is that really necessary though?

Edit: Oh wow that's extremely cheap, and it seems the 8800 is way better than the 8600 Thanks wol-va-rine!

Alright so I'll replace the 8600GT with the 8800GT.

Are the rest of the components good though? I also have an additional SATA and an additional IDE Hard Drive that I'd ideally like to connect, as well as the 640GB one that I'd be buying now. Would all of these fit in the motherboard?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom