updated computer specs for which one I should buy?

steveDJ

Solid State Member
This is a newer version of the post I did last week for everyone to give me an opinion on which computer system would be better for me to buy on my budget of $1300 CAD. The input I got last week was that it would be more cost effective for me to build my own system. Since I don't know much about hardware I would not build one on my own but I have since last week found a a few places online that do custom builds. As I said last week, when I run apps like Pinnacle studios 19, my fan is really loud or even when it does a scan with AVG it is loud. I mainly use my computer for downloading music and movies, watching movies, listening and organizing music and creating and editing videos etc. and browsing the internet using only Firefox.
So here is my new list of systems and specs for everyone's input on what's good and what's not.

Place #1 is just a ten minute drive from my house. They have quoted me the following system which I could pick up and does not have any delivery charge attached.
Intel i5-9400F Six-Core CPU (9TH Gen)
Asus H310ME Mainboard w/ HD Audio/LAN
16GB DDR4 RAM
1TB Western Digital HDD
DVDRW
ThermalTake MidTower Chassis
EVGA 500W Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Nvidia GTX1060 3GB Video Card (HDMI)
1 Year Warranty
$1327 + HST
They suggested that I use Windows 10 mhome instead of pro to save $50 off the above price and also if I am not doing any gaming, I could go with a less costly video card like a GTX 1050 2GB and save an additional $70. That would bring my total to $1207 + HST.

Place #2 is 4 hours west of me and would incur a delivery charge.
[FONT=&quot]AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Up to 3.9GHz Processor with Radeon RX[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vega 11 Graphics[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12009 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]YD2400C5FBBOX [/FONT][FONT=&quot]$1,299.00 $1,299.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Gigabyte B450M DS3H Desktop Motherboard - (AMD Ryzen[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AM4/M.2/HMDI/DVI/USB 3.1/DDR4/Micro ATX/Motherboard)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10110 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]B450M DS3H[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Corsair 16GB Kit (2x 8GB) DDR4 Vengeance 2400Mhz[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Desktop Memory[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11002 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CMK16GX4M2A2400C16[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 14005 Crucial P1 500GB Turbo NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CT500P1SSD8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 18030 In-Win EFS052 Black Mini Tower Case 450W & DVD Suppo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FS052.CH450TB3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Digital Licence OEM New -[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No Media [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TOTAL:1299 before shipping[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And finally place #3 is in the United states and there would be shipping charges and even possibly duty charges which they have not told me what that would be yet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Case:X2 case[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B360M-A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Processor: Intel® Six Core™ i5-8400 Processor Six Core 4.00GHz [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Memory: DDR4 2666MHz Memory - 16GB [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Power Supply: SEASONIC S12III 500W BRONZE [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Optical Drive: 24X DVD-RW Combo[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sound Cards: Onboard Audio[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Graphics Card: RADEON RX 570 4GB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HDD/SSD: Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CPU Cooling: Default Cooler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CPU Paste: Standard CPU Thermal Paste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GPU Paste: Standard Graphics Card Thermal Paste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anti-Virus: Virus & Malware Protection[/FONT]
TOTAL: $1336.45 before shipping and possibly duty charges.

So I think these have a lot better specs then the previous post I made and I appreciate everyone's input on these ones too.

I'd suggest none of the above. Some listed are decent parts but some are undefined. To me they seemed grossly over priced.

One thing I don't like is Corsair products especially their memory and PSU. For memory I like Gskill and for PSU I like Seasonic.

You didn't pick the parts right? That defeats the custom build I was talking about. Apparently you don't know about the hardware so you'll need help here.

I've built all my PCs from budget to good. This PC I have I built a year or two back so let me give you the specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MB: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
MEM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport
PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W BRONZE
VC: Sapphire Radeon HD7770 1G GDDR5

These are the core of my system. They are decent parts yet fairly priced. I'm not much of a gamer but my system does very well in other respects like streaming video and movies.

I also did some video encoding which forced me to upgrade from Ryzen 3 2200G to Ryzen 5 2600 due to the R3 overheating from the work.

Do you have a friend who build PCs? Work with him and save your money. Those custom builders are a joke as their labor charges are way too high.

The rest of the parts like the case are rather personal tastes, choose what you like.

Last edited:
Asking someone else to put together a computer based on your budget is just as inefficient as buying some random desktop computer on Amazon.

If you really want to get as much as you can for your money, you should order your components separately and then put together the computer once you have them all.

Here is something I put together very quickly and it isn't even 1000CAD. Based on what you said on the other post, this should be more than enough for your needs. Maybe you could get a better card and processor so it lasts longer, but that's your call.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $722.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-20 19:42 EDT-0400

Corsair CX? Cmon AMD that's crap. Corsair is not the manufacturer, CWT is.

Go for Seasonic instead.

Aside from that the list is very good.

Last edited:
Anything made by CWT is crapshoot because they can go one way or the other. The Corsair RM is also made by CWT.

I don't have the database on Pure Power 11. I still prefer Seasonic or Super Flower if across the pond or Delta.

This is what I have in my PC which is the 3rd system to use this PSU since 2013 and still going strong. This PSU also protected my PC from power outages. Any problem and there'll be a loud click and it's off.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-m12...n-520w/p/N82E16817151093?Item=N82E16817151093

Those options have gaming video cards, something you don't need according to your description. APU's and their equivalent from Intel (CPU+GPU's in the same mold) give good performance for casual low end and sometimes mid-range games if any. Think it over. You can also always add a video card later. Just make sure the PSU (wattag) and case (size) are good for the tier of video cards you may get later.

Editing videos are better in quality with CPU at the moment. Video cards may increase speed but quality does not compare to CPU. Mixing the two could help but it's a "mixed" bag.

Building a custom computer allows you to drop the video card and pick a better CPU. Try that and compare prices with ready builds like the three in the OP.

Out of personal experience in PSU's, Super Flower and CoolerMaster were great (the latter was/and is still better for me. But Both are of old releases. Not sure about how their quality is now.

Best of luck.

CoolerMaster is not a maker. Their models are from many makers including Seasonic.

If memory serves, i think mine is a coolermaster. I would have to check to make sure. I remember what you said Celery about that. Celery didn't steer me wrong

Back
Top Bottom