Unusually slow performance lately...

PaperPlunger

In Runtime
Ok, So, I built a computer a while back, about mid December. It worked for a while, but I had to reinstall windows because it crapped out in 2 hours. It's worked fine since then. The problem is that my computer gets BSOD's very frequently, and I have posted many other topics attempting to pinpoint exactly why..

I have gotten some corrupt file entries that windows has fixed, but they come back sometimes. This happened once before, back when it crapped out within 2 hours of windows being installed (first day I got it). Anyway, these corrput files led me to believe that it had to be HDD malfunction, and I had gotten a faulty one, until not to long ago.

I decided to run a memtest and check my RAM. The results were startling. I have a PQI Turbo 1g 2-3-2-5, and I thought it was great. The memtest found 160,000 errors in ONE TEST. I only ran it for an hour, because I got the point.

I mostly play WoW, but I have been really upset with my current framerates lately, becaus ethey have dropped from a constant 75.0 fps, to running around 30.0 fps. That's a huge 45 frame drop! My computer has also been running relatively slowly lately in doing random things, lie openening firefox, or alt-tabbing from things.

Now, my main question is: "Can I blame all of this on my horridly broken RAM? Or is it a joint effort which is bringing me into this deep black pit of slowness?" Can I just buy a new stick and rma the old and have a fast computer again? It's getting really annoying.

Here are the specs:

WD 160g SATA
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
XFX 7600GT PCI-E
PQI 1g Turbo 2-3-2-5
AMD 4600+ 2.4 Dual core
Rosewill 550w PSU

PS A guy from PQI once told me it was because my mobo couldn't handle my RAM timings, and to change it to 3-4-3-8 I did, is that true, because I have never heard of a mobo not being able to run certain timings...

Thanks for the help in advance, if you have anymore questions or need info about the computer, just give a shout.

Blame the RAM, then remove it and jump up and down on it. :) I would definately say thats the cause of the problem.

Raffaz said:
Blame the RAM, then remove it and jump up and down on it. :) I would definately say thats the cause of the problem.

Ok, thanks a lot! I have been wondering for a while if I have just gotten a ton of faulty parts. Either that or the computer just sucks! haha, thanks again!

Just wondering, have you tested the RAM with memtest at the slower timing speed?

Back
Top Bottom