unknown problem

teamo1

Baseband Member
I haven't used my computer much lately so there have been no symptoms prior to this that I know of. I started it up the other day and was in the process of updating my avg antivirus. The computer froze so I restarted it with the reset. It appeared to start but the chassis fan just ran at high speed and nothing else happened. I tried several reboots with the same result. I shut it down and went back to it after an hour or so and it started up and went to the windows screen and stayed on for about a minute then it went to black screen with the fan running on high speed again and nothing else happening. I tried to reboot again and it did nothing again just the fan running. I left it off for a few hours and tried to restart it. It just showed the system information screen prior to loading windows but was frozen. I tried to enter the setup menu for the bios screen but it was just frozen. Rebooted and it just stayed black with the fan running on high again. What is my first step in diagnosing this? Thanks.
Jim

The guys around here are better than me by far. when you say "I tried to enter the setup menu for the bios screen but it was just frozen."

Is that by hitting the delete key as soon as you restart to get into the bios? It does nothing? Not even beep?

On my old PC if I wanted to get into bios or settings. I have to hit delete or F9 or something and hold it down, then it would start beeping and I would let it go then it would enter the menus.

Yes to get into the bios screen for my computer it is the delete key but the computer is frozen and won't do anything when I hit the key.

so you turn it on and just black with the fan on full speed.

I assume this is the desktop you have in your signature? Did you check your connections? Can you feel the hard drive spinning?

Do you see anything at all?

I had a problem the other day with a black screen and one of the guys here recommended i pull the graphics card first.

(turned out I mounted my motherboard without risers on a new build which isnt your problem of course)

yes I turn it on and I get the black screen. Fans are spinning and the cpu fan is spinning. I think that the hard drive is working but even without it I should be able to run the setup screen from the bios.

Back
Top Bottom