Uninstall Windows Vista

Larisa

In Runtime
I just bought Windows Vista 64 bit with the Windows 7 coupon. I want to replace my Windows Vista 32 bit. How do I uninstall the 32 bit version. I don't what to update or over lay, I want to un install the 32 bit because they have different product key numbers and I can't remember or find the product key for the 32 bit. Thus I get a "not genuine" microsoft product.

Remember, I want to uninstall the 32 bit version.

Thanks for any info - Larisa

When you install Vista 64, it will give you the option to delete the current partition, and then you can reformat the drive and install the new OS.

Generally the Windows installer will simply pack up everything from the existing installation into the Windows.old folder automatically when replacing that. Before reformatting the dirve for a totally clean install you will first want to backup anything you want presently on the drive.

Once 7 is out and you have the upgrade disk you will want a clean install again. I'll be wiping 3 drives on one system here when that time comes! :D

Just pop the CD and go, it will do the rest :D
Backup anything and pick the destructive method that won't save anything.

If you want to do a clean install, when you get here click on the advanced drive options to get other formating options like delete. So that you can delete the old partition, create a new one and perform a clean install.

Just pop the CD and go, it will do the rest :D
Backup anything and pick the destructive method that won't save anything.

If you don't proceed into the drive tools section and manually choose the format option there before going ahead with the installation everything besides custom folders added since the original installation will end up in the Windows.old folder. Look for the drive tools section before you reach the point where you rselect the partition/drive Windows will be installed.

When I boot from the disc it says:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

I believe I am getting this because I have not entered my product key for the 32 bit version of Windows Vista I am currently running. What would happen if I just deleted the "Windows" folder? Can I contact Microdsoft to get a product key? If so how?

Not sure what to do next! :confused:

When I boot from the disc it says:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

I believe I am getting this because I have not entered my product key for the 32 bit version of Windows Vista I am currently running. What would happen if I just deleted the "Windows" folder? Can I contact Microdsoft to get a product key? If so how?

Not sure what to do next! :confused:

The incompatibility has nothing to do with the product key, but rather the updating of your 32 bit OS with a 64 bit OS. You're better off doing a format and clean install as upgrading from 32 to 64 bit will not work (at least, I've never seen it work).

What if I just deleted the Windows folder? I'd really hate to format my drive.

I'm really not sure what would happen if you just deleted the windows folder. I'm not sure if windows setup looks at the folder or the MBR of the hard drive to determine the installed OS. I just know that deleting your Windows folder won't do anything to the MBR. I will always stand by a good old format and reinstall as the best answer.

Back
Top Bottom