Underclocking Boosting CSS Performance

thomas49th

In Runtime
Underclocking is Boosting CSS FPS Performance!!!

Hi, over the last 2 months (i think) my FPS in CSS is not what is used to be. It may tie in with upgrading to windows 7 a couple of months back. But i've tried both Nvidia's and windows 7's driver for my 8800GT. So I thought I'd overclock my CPU (Q6700), to a higher rate to see if my FPS would be increased significantly. So I loaded up a local server and looked a specific location on the wall. Increasing my CPU speed seemed to do nothing (except decrease it slightly). I then began to reduce the CPU speed to see if that made a difference - whether it was the gfrx or CPU bottleneck. What happened was from 2.6Ghz to 2.2 I got 35-50 (~160fps) fps jump!! I clocked it back upto 2.6Ghz and got ~115fps...

What does this imply. The card is an ASUS 5122mb En8800GT, is it because of the power supply (some cheap 650W thing that's lasted me a year and a half) - I shall be putting a WATT meter on the computer to see what is drains, because I'm sure it only drains a tidly amount.

Anyway I said my pc used to peform better... not sure why it's decreasing. I should be maxing CSS out!

Thanks
Thomas

also with a wattmeter the wattage of the comsumption of the pc at idle is about 130 (that includes a sub, 2 LCD monitors and a wireless phone)

when I launched css there is no difference.

Remember the PSU is 650W - not that I'm saying it'll deliver the full 650 - it's cheap and probably fairly inefficient.

Back
Top Bottom