Undeletable files

tb.

Solid State Member
,Long story short, got a new Ipod but it wont sync with my comp. Its being really stupid and not being recognised untill its removed lagging out my comp big time and generally not working and being a pain in the ass, I think the problem is with the files for my old Ipod (Gen 1) but when I try to delete these files windows says that I "cannot delete ipodservices.exe, access is denied" or "Cannot read from the file or disk" does anyone know what the hell is going on, is there any way to delete these files or if there something else I can do?
Yes I know its my own fault for buying something from apple =(

This will sound like a stupid question, but do you have Itunes installed?

A lot of times this is due to the file (the one you're trying to delete) still using a program that is still running. So to prevent sudden closure of the program and possible corruption, they do that to warn you and prevent you from deleting it. Sometimes it's easy because you know what it's running from, like a media file on iTunes or WMP, per se. Sometimes it's harder because you don't remember or know what program it was running on etc. At that point, I would just suggest restarting your computer since everything has to shutdown when you reboot.

Yes Itunes is installed, newest version, deleted and reinstalled several times,

this is data that was used by my old Ipod and no programs were running so I dont really see how its possible for it to be being used by an application.

Exactly what is safe mode? pardon my nubeness

Haha, some programs are running and you wouldn't even know. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click on the tab "Processes" and that'll show you some of the many programs that are running.

As for data on your iPod, I wouldn't know.

keep pressing f8 when you start your computer and you can select safe mode from there!

have u tried deleted the ipod updater? (uninstalling it i ment)
and the apple updater also
make sure the ipod isn't pluged into a usb hub and its pluged in directly onto the motherboards usb ports

I cannot delete the ipod updater, despite the fact its still on my applications list everytime I hit the button to uninstall it it loads the uninstall wizzard then instantly quits and gives no reason, trying to physically delete gives a "Cannot be found on disk" message

Tried safe mode but it didnt make any diffrence it still says that the files cannot be found

you might want to search the registery for any ipod updater files and manualy delete the entries from the registery
keep me posted

Back
Top Bottom